Hood gears up for first football game, possible start

(Photo by Lisa Bartoli)
(Photo by Lisa Bartoli)

(Photo by Lisa Bartoli)

Whether a player is a redshirt senior entering his fifth season or a true freshman entering his first, the first game of a new football season is always exciting.

“It is exciting,” freshman defensive lineman Jaxon Hood said. “You work hard for this your whole life. I’m anxious and can’t wait to run out of that tunnel.”

Hood will likely be just the fifth true freshman Sun Devil to start his first career game since 1972. Playing in front of more than 50,000 people for the first time in his life will be exhilarating, but redshirt senior cornerback Deveron Carr had some simple advice for the youngster on how to keep his emotions in check.

“Just play,” Carr said. “Don’t get caught up in how many people are there and the atmosphere. Just remember back to when you were in high school and you were great and knew your keys. Just continue to play.”

Carr has entered Sun Devil Stadium via Tillman Tunnel plenty of times, but just as Hood will remember his first year in Tempe, Carr knows he needs to make his last one count.

He won’t have the same nervousness as Hood, but the Scottsdale native will also be anxious to hit the field and do his best to keep all of his emotions in check.

“I just have to be prepared because this is my senior year and I don’t get a second chance,” Carr said. “I have to bring my ‘A’ game every day. Not just every game day, but every day.”

Notes:

— Most of the attention given to senior running back Cameron Marshall has to do with his ability to run the football. However, Marshall is also capable of catching the ball out of the backfield and enters the season fifth on the list of active running backs with 55 career receptions.

— After not practicing in the two-deep the past three days, senior receiver Jamal Miles worked with the first-team receivers during Monday’s practice.

— Redshirt freshman quarterback Michael Eubank was seen working with the hands team during an onside kick drill.

— Redshirt senior defensive end Toa Tuitea was wearing a green jersey. Although he was not in a green jersey, senior defensive tackle Corey Adams remains limited.

— Long snapping is still an area of weakness, but freshman Easton Wahlstrom and redshirt junior Max Smith each had better days snapping the ball than they did on Sunday.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×