Local businesses offer discounts for ASU students

Two customers enter Fuzzy’s Taco Shop on Mill Avenue Wednesday. Local businesses surrounding the Tempe campus offer student deals in the beginning of the fall semester.  (Photo by Jessie Wardarski)
Two customers enter Fuzzy’s Taco Shop on Mill Avenue Wednesday. Local businesses surrounding the Tempe campus offer student deals in the beginning of the fall semester. (Photo by Jessie Wardarski)

One Tempe Wal-Mart on the corner of Southern Avenue and Rural Road has a back-to-school sale until Saturday.

ASU students will get an additional 10 percent off all items, excluding food, by showing their ASU Sun Card to the cashier.

Target at Tempe Marketplace hosted a back-to-school shopping event for ASU students Saturday, but hasn’t offered any other discounts.

Health sciences junior Noah Tapia still did most of his back-to-school shopping at that Target.

“I chose to shop at Target specifically because I work there, so I get an employee discount,” Tapia said. “I didn’t know about any other discounts.”

Several other stores in Tempe Marketplace do offer student discounts. Utility Board Shop, Payless Shoe Source and Urban Angels Boutique offer 10 percent off their merchandise.

Verizon Wireless has a 10 percent discount on monthly cell phone service and 25 percent off all accessories.

Students looking to catch a movie can get $7 tickets ($2.50 off normal pricing) for all movies after 6 p.m. at Harkins Theatres.

Thirsty Lion Pub and Grill and California Pizza Kitchen offer a 10 to 20 percent savings for ASU students.

Liberty Mutual pitches a 10 percent discount on car and renter’s insurance policies for students who are new to Arizona.

“Liberty Mutual has been the preferred provider for ASU for about four years now,"  said Mike Denney, a sales representative for Liberty Mutual.

Mill Avenue businesses offer similar discounts for both the start of the year and the Devils on Mill events prior to ASU home football games.

Sara Eason, marketing coordinator for the downtown Tempe community, said planned discounts include a buy two, get one free ice pop at Paletas Betty and 15 percent off sales from the Bike Cellar.

Not all specials for the Devils on Mill promotion have been announced yet.

“Merchants will display specials that they offer to all students on Devils on Mill posters before every ASU home game,” Eason said.

Reach the reporter at amy.edelen@asu.edu

×