Letter: ASU policy forces Chick-fil-A to abide by anti-discrimination laws

Joseph North writes repeatedly that the case for kicking Chik-fil-A off campus is a matter of whether we disagree with Dan Cathy's beliefs. He misunderstands the situation.

Dan Cathy, along with other Chick-fil-A executives, is free to believe whatever he wants. What we as a University should disagree with is where Chik-fil-A gives its money (after we give it to them). Chick-fil-A is known to donate to hate groups such as Focus on the Family, Eagle Forum and Family Research Council. We should disagree with Chik-fil-A's long-standing habit of discriminating against employees and franchisees who are women, non-Christian or queer.

ASU's anti-discrimination policy says that our University "expressly prohibits harassment, discrimination, and retaliation by employees, students, contractors, or agents of the University based on protected status, including race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, and gender identity." If we would not allow students, employees, etc. to engage in such discrimination, then why should we support businesses that discriminate in this way? Why should we support businesses that donate money to organizations that seek to oppress women, LGBTQ people and non-Christian people?

It's not about beliefs, Joseph, it is about tangible financial support. Chick-fil-A's values are contrary to ASU's values.

Priscilla Long

Undergraduate Student

×