Goodell needs to bring refs back onto field

According to a report by ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter, the NFL has decided to fine Broncos coach John Fox and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio $20,000 each for criticizing the replacement referees.

The NFL has always had a policy that it is not OK to publicly criticize the referees, but the replacement referees have been horrendous this season.

The inability of the replacements to live up to standards set by the regular referees has been constantly talked about. It’s getting tiresome to me, but NFL commissioner Roger Goodell needs to put things in perspective.

This season the referees have blown more calls than in a typical season and it is frustrating for everyone involved. It may become a repetitive storyline for some and Goodell won’t like the complaining, but it will not go away.

If Goodell and the NFL truly want to fix the current officiating problem, they will do whatever is necessary to end the lockout and get the regular referees back on the field.

The fines issued to Fox and Del Rio may deter some people from speaking publicly, but it is highly unlikely they will be the only coaches fined by the NFL for speaking out against the referees.

×