Police investigating theft of 6 textbooks from dorm

ASU police reported the following incident Wednesday.

• Police are investigating the theft of six textbooks from the Barrett, the Honors College Academic complex Sept. 12, according to a police report.

A pair of roommates in Cottonwood Hall reported the textbooks missing while they were both in class, according to the report.

The two students shared a key to their room and often had to leave the door unlocked, police reported.

Both roommates left for class at approximately 2:30 p.m., leaving the door unlocked, according to the report.

They returned to the room at about 6:30 p.m. and did not notice anything out of the ordinary, police reported.

The more expensive items, such as computers and TVs, were still there, according to the report.

At about 7 p.m., the students noticed that textbooks were missing, police reported. They ultimately discovered that six of their books were gone, according to the report.

The students told police they had not told anyone that they often left the door unlocked, police reported.

They said the only people who would have known about their situation would be their community assistant and the front desk, where they made requests for a second key, according to the report.

Residents of the dorm did not notice anyone or anything strange occurring in the dorm throughout the day, police reported.

Reports compiled by Charlotte Das.

Reach the reporter at cldas@asu.edu

×