Tempe12 supports University events

Tempe12 girls Kellie Coleman, Gina Vaia and Jordan Lozoya hold up their "month" in the new 2012-2013 Tempe12 calendar.

Tempe12, a calendar featuring ASU women, has been a prominent supporter of University events since 2004.

David Freedman, founder of Tempe12, came up with the business idea in his apartment during his senior year at ASU.

“I went up and down Mill Avenue the next day telling all the businesses about my idea and none of them were really buying it at the time,” he said.

Freedman said most of the businesses said his idea wouldn’t be around in six months.

“Eight years later, we are still going stronger than ever,” he said.

The group of 12 women is chosen to be a part of the business based on both “beauty and brains,” he said. Each of them are required to have a GPA of at least 3.0.

Biology sophomore Jordan Lozoya joined the Tempe12 after moving from Minnesota.

“I thought it would be a good opportunity to meet some good friends,” she said.

Tempe12 member Gina Vaia, a film and media sophomore, learned about the group when she and her brother attended tailgate parties.

“It looked like fun,” she said.

Tempe12 is primarily known for its support of ASU athletics, especially football.

“Football is obviously a huge part of college life,” Freedman said. “We try to get as much support behind the team as possible.”

Tempe12 has many upcoming events planned, including a series of football tailgates for all ASU home games and viewing parties at the El Hefe Restaurant and Bar in Scottsdale for away games.

“We are encouraging the students to come out, get together and cheer on the Sun Devils,” Freedman said.

In addition to supporting sporting events, Tempe12 lends its support to charity causes, such as Feed My Starving Children, where the girls package food for underprivileged children.

The 12 will participate in a charity golf tournament, though it has yet to be scheduled. A similar event in April 2011 raised more than $10,000 for the Boys and Girls Clubs of Metro Phoenix.

Previous years’ calendars displayed the girls in swimwear, but this year’s calendar will focus on more readable content and pictures of girls in their everyday clothes.

Freedman said Tempe12 takes every opportunity to support the school and community; however, they have received their share of criticism from people who think the calendar objectifies women.

He said Tempe12 aims to prove girls can be simultaneously beautiful and smart, and skeptics should meet the girls before making a judgment.

“These girls are incredible individuals (and) have goals and aspirations to be very successful in life,” he said.

The Tempe12 has branched out to include the Tucson12, San Diego12 and Textbook12, a college-oriented website offering articles on humor, pop culture and music that is not university-specific.

The company has plans to expand to more than 50 universities within the next five years.

Reach the reporter at amy.edelen@asu.edu

×