Boo to the critical injuries 14-year-old Malala Yousafzai sustained after the Taliban shot to her in the head as she walked home from school. The Taliban shot her for her vocal support of women’s education in Pakistan. Its assignation attempt is a sick trend in which terrorist organizations continue to make examples of young children. Victoria Nuland, a spokesperson for the U.S. Department of State, has condemned the violence as “barbaric” and “cowardly.”

Bravo to Arizona's increased focus on pedestrian safety. A recent Arizona Republic article indicated that Phoenix, Peoria, Glendale, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Tempe and Mesa have actively begun to redevelop heavy pedestrian traffic areas in order to preserve pedestrian and bicyclist safety – something that is of utmost importance around ASU. "High Intensity Activated Crosswalks" and wider sidewalks offer the Tempe campus more room for its large student population.

Boo to spending $9 million on building a multi-use pavilion on the Tempe campus. Student leaders contend the pavilion is an effective way of spending funds leftover from investing in new recreation facilities on the West, Polytechnic and Downtown campuses. The pavilion will house indoor events related to homecoming and Greek Life. This seems like an awfully high price tag for what will be, in reality, nothing but a glorified tent.

Bravo to former President Bill Clinton’s public endorsement of Democratic Senate candidate Richard Carmona in Arizona two days ago. Both conservative and liberal politicians have abandoned the Grand Canyon State because they believe it’s a shoe-in vote for Republicans. Clinton’s appearance signifies there might be a less conservative base worth revitalizing, even though Carmona has only been a Democrat for a year now.

Boo to the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law for having unrealistic expectations. ASU is moving forward with plans for a $129 million new law school on the Downtown campus, and it expects to see a 50 percent enrollment increase. Meanwhile, law school enrollment nationwide continues to fall each year.

Want to join the conversation? Send an email to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. Keep letters under 300 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

×