Letter: President doesn't 'apologize for freedom of speech'

In response to Meredith Walker’s Sept. 26 letter to the editor, “Islam: a not so peaceful religion.”

In a letter that looked more like a section from Anders Breivik’s manifesto than the rational product of an ASU student, it is hard to produce a rebuttal that would clarify many fallacies, over-generalizations and simply a lack of contextual evidence that Meredith Walker stated in her article (rant) against Islam.

As a senior majoring in religious studies, biochemistry, minoring in Arabic and perusing certificates in Islamic Studies and Religion and Conflict and after having served as Muslims students Association president, I can say with full confidence none of that knowledge was necessary to see that a religion of 1.6 billion adherents isn’t founded on protesters amounting less than 1 percent. Certainly not the killing of Chris Stevens, whom the Islamic Community here in Tempe held a vigil for. The latest statistics show only a handful of protesters in relation to the number of Muslims who occupy those countries. Meredith states in her letter, “The president apologizes for America’s freedom of speech.” Actually, the president states, “I know there are some who ask why we don't just ban such a video. The answer is enshrined in our laws: Our Constitution protects the right to practice free speech.”  There is a myriad of both Islamic scholars and non-Muslim academics who condemn the video, including those at ASU. There is enough evidence from the Quran and Muhammad’s actions to condemn the violent protest. The Quran states, "When they hear vain talk they turn away there from and say, ‘To us our deeds and to you yours, peace be to you we seek not the ignorant.’” All it takes is a cursory review of the 1400-year history of Islam to label Meredith Walker's claims as intuitive-based and Islamophobic.

Christopher Webb

Undergraduate

Want to join the conversation? Send an email to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. Keep letters under 300 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

Read our Editorial Board’s letter here. Read a collection of responses to Meredith Walker's Sept. 26 letter here.

×