Maroon and Gamer: Assassin's Creed III

Last years Assassin’s Creed: Revelations with its hook-blade and bombs never jelled well with me. But the next numbered game in the series, Assassin’s Creed III, did away with the series poster boy and has been in development since Assassin’s Creed II. Did the extra time make for a better game, or is this just as played out as the others?

The Good

Ubisoft Montreal made the right decision in advancing the timeline from Renaissance Italy and Istanbul to Colonial America. Characters such as Benjamin Franklin and Samuel Adams appear to meet the new protagonist, Connor. Connor is a Native American who is conflicted about which side to take in the escalating conflict. It’s a breath of fresh air to have a Native American video game character because they are so few and far between. Connor also has more of a compelling reason to exact justice against the Templars who have been the series antagonist since the first game.

But the detail isn’t just in the narrative. From the cities you walk in to the clothes that people wear, every meticulous aspect is accurate to that time period. The game also removes the shackles of urban running that the previous games were known for and, while buildings are still present, the player can run up and around the canopy of the trees and it is simply an experience. The flow and the persistent danger of the Rome-sized (from Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood) Frontier imbue Assassin’s Creed III with another level of freedom. Trees are not obstacles; they are another method of travel.

Say goodbye to some of those frustrating levels in previous Assassin’s Creed games. Ubisoft Montreal added mid-mission checkpoints and rebounding health (when not in combat). Naval missions, where Connor takes control of a boat with a full crew, have also been added and they are easily my favorite parts of Assassin’s Creed III.

The multiplayer in Assassin’s Creed III continues the series tradition of creating a tense game mode that rewards patience and timing. The multiplayer, from when I last played it in Brotherhood, has received a few much-needed updates. The characters can sense audible whispers when their killer is nearby and you can make out the heartbeats of your own character when your own target is in sight. There are also multiple levels of customization to the character models and abilities with more content and maps sure to come in the next several months. Ubisoft Montreal also added a cooperative mode but it doesn’t work out as they might’ve planned. If you’re going to play it, get three other friends because if you play with randoms, it turns into a score hunt where everyone guns it for the targets.

The Bad

Time has not been kind to Assassin’s Creed III. While this game is gorgeous beyond measure and is one of 2012’s best, not everything works out correctly. I experienced a character, early in the game, blankly staring at me and communicating through his thoughts. I also found myself reloading those welcome mid-mission checkpoints because the animation system glitched up. People would also disappear inexplicably to a noticeable degree.

And in all of the cutscenes there was this weird grainy shadow effect that just looked awful and dated. Assassin’s Creed III can also feel a little too automated compared to previous games. Connor will be all too happy to run into a wall and take cover as redcoats are chasing him or place his hands on an invisible wall and get stuck. The horse physics are much worse – getting caught on logs or even invisible pieces of the environment. It’s just too jarring to not mention.

The Verdict

There is too much praise to dish out for Assassin’s Creed III even with some of its technical shortcomings. If I wanted to, I could write three more pieces with the amount of new changes to gameplay and narrative but I think this game works best when you experience it for yourself.

Follow me on Twitter @MaroonandGamer or send me an email to shfawcet@asu.edu and tell me what your favorite Assassin’s Creed game has been so far. 

×