New LGBTQA club adds support to Downtown

The newly formed Downtown campus LGBTQA group met for the first time Thursday. There are 10 LGBTQA groups at ASU. (Photo by Ana Ramirez)

Neon posters of Britney Spears screaming in outrage have hung at the Downtown campus for the past couple of weeks, inviting students to a newly formed LGBTQA group.

Nonprofit leadership and management senior Robbie Lopez, the founder of the to-be-named group, chose the poster to be “eye-catching.”

Only one LGBTQA group, The National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association, is present on the Downtown campus.

Lopez said he wanted to create a group for the general student population and to help connect people. He said the group could be a place for students to meet others like themselves.

“Our main goal is to create a safe space for LGBTQA students to socialize, (to) connect and to provide support with each other,” he said.

Lopez, who transferred from Pima Community College last fall, said there was definitely a stronger LGBTQA community in Tucson.

“I figured since there wasn’t anything (on the Downtown campus) I’d try to start something,” he said. “(I want) to create an … organization that lasts more than a year.”

The new group held its first meeting Thursday.

Lopez said no one showed up, but he expected that.

“Everyone who has expressed interest all have very different schedules, so it was difficult to find a time where a lot of people could attend,” he said. “I’m not too worried about it because I know this sort of thing doesn’t just happen overnight.”

Robin Phillips, director of the Downtown campus LGBT faculty and staff organization Ubiquity, said she welcomes the new group.

“Downtown campus is really active,” she said.  “When there are (tent) events outside, I’ve seen LGBTQA groups and services.”

Phillips said many people have questions about “coming out” in the workplace, and groups are a good way to meet people and learn from their personal experiences.

“For me, as soon as I was aware myself, I’ve been out,” she said.

Phillips said so far she hasn’t had any negative feedback in a work environment, but there are places in the U.S. where this may not be the case.

“It’s like any kind of human rights issue,” she said. “We don’t have to be from an (oppressed) group.”

ASU has 10 different LGBTQA groups, six of which are on the Tempe campus.

LGBTQA Coalition adviser Chris Schlarb has worked for ASU for more than a year.

“I’ve always had a passion for LGBTQA issues (and) I’ve always loved the college environment,” she said.

Schlarb said ASU offers more than just LGBTQA organizations.

The University has scholarships, a certificate program, a newsletter and SafeZone, a program that increases awareness of issues faced by the LGBTQA community.

“We’re progressively trying to promote diversity education and inclusion of LGBTQ identity and topics,” she said.

Schlarb said many are concerned about being fired for being openly gay, so there are workshops on LGBTQA-friendly workplaces.

She said there is no federal or state protection for people who are fired for being a part of the LGBTQA community, so it’s difficult.

The LGBTQA Coalition is working on coming to this year’s homecoming dance Oct. 27, Schlarb said.

Reach the reporter at amrami13@asu.edu

×