Upon entering the 7th annual Phoenix Oktoberfest in the early afternoon, one is immediately struck by the diversity in culture. Polka music is playing in the background at the entrance of the front gates and there is a large lawn surrounded by vendor tents.

Some tents are distinctly American, like the Pepsi tent, while others are not, the Henkel tents.

Many people are dressed in regular street clothes and others are dressed in the traditional clothing of German men and women — lederhosen and dirndls. Bratwursts are being sold and people are spotted walking around with their “das boot” attached to their belt. The overall atmosphere was relaxed and fun with events like the best-dressed costume contest and a chance to do the chicken dance.

One interesting event to watch was the alphorn-playing contest. An alphorn is a traditional German instrument, and at over 7 feet long, it isn’t an easy one to carry around. The horn can be played much like traditional brass instruments and the sounds it makes are resonant and varied.

There were two alphorn competitions at Oktoberfest, one for children and one for adults. When it was time for the competition, over two dozen kids lined up for a chance to take on the alphorn with varying results. Some kids impressively mastered the horn, others didn’t have the lungs for it yet.

The adults, as expected, fared a little better with the horn. Just as many lined up for a chance to play this instrument and they performed well — it wouldn’t be a surprise if some owned up to playing the instrument before. The crowd applauded after each one and in the end, winners were crowned and presented with Henkel products.

Another event that caught the eyes of most of the attendees was the partner Polka dancing contest. The competitors were a mix of young and old, some dressed more traditionally or more modern, but for polka it didn’t matter. The band struck up a tune and the 10 couples danced their best until the judges chose from the group the three finalist couples. The band played one more tune before the judges made a decision.

Of the couples, one was much younger than the other contestants and it was obvious they practiced their polka dancing — they easily won the contest. It was great to see a young couple embrace German culture, and people sitting at tables around the dance floor applauded them enthusiastically.

This year’s Oktoberfest truly celebrated culture. Not just German culture, but the convergence of many different ones. Standing by the entrance, one could see someone from every ethnic and cultural background and he or she left the event feeling welcomed and embraced in German culture. This interesting mix of culture and people made this year’s Phoenix Oktoberfest one to remember.

Reach the reporter at mmgilber@asu.edu

×