As we approach the halfway point in this fall 2012 semester, many of us are burned out. Second exams are quickly approaching and some of us are in definite need of a day off.

Well, we can breathe a sigh of relief because ASU has given us a fall break this semester. According to the ASU academic calendar, the supposed four-day fall break takes place Oct. 13 to 16.

But the break is a little misleading. We already have the 13th and 14th off because it’s a weekend. ASU doesn’t include the weekend after Thanksgiving into the holiday break, so why would they include it in the new fall break? Perhaps it’s because the libraries are closed that weekend, but they do reopen Oct. 15 and 16.

These schedule changes came to students’ attention in spring 2011. We had almost two weeks taken out of our winter break in exchange for this fall break. Changes to the schedule were made in order to accommodate a two-day break between the new Semester A and B 7.5 week sessions, according to The Arizona Republic. Students, as a result, could have “more scheduling options.”

Comparing the fall 2010 calendar to this semester’s calendar, fall 2010 started on Aug. 19 and had a 35-day winter break from Dec. 15 to Jan. 18. Meanwhile, this semester started on Aug. 23, and will have a winter break starting Dec. 19 and ending Jan. 7 — a 20-day break.

Taking into account the Saturday and Sunday into the fall break, and the later semester start date, students are still being cheated a full week of break.

The new change does provide some new scheduling options, but it doesn’t help much if students are looking to drastically change their schedules. Doing a simple class search for the fall 2012 semester shows that the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences offered 82 classes in Session A, 92 classes in Session B, and 850 classes in Session C.

It’s quite clear that the 7.5-week sessions are significantly less popular than the usual 15-week sessions and offer less variety. I have yet to meet a student who has taken advantage of the new A and B sessions, which is a shame because he or she would be the one benefiting from the new schedule change.

The majority of students enrolled in Session C are gaining nothing from this.

Did ASU think we wouldn’t mind trading a week of our winter break for two measly days in October?

While these upcoming two days will provide time for students to catch up on school work and sleep, there is no doubt that students will be wishing for a longer winter break once Jan. 7rolls around.

Does this four-day weekend even provide out-of-state students with enough time and reason to travel back home?

For me, travelling back home to Los Angeles was a stretch. I’m just thankful that my teachers are kind enough to post recordings of lectures and cancel labs the week of fall break.

Traveling back home for a five-day break is totally worth it.

Reach the Columnist at OBrunaci@asu.edu or follow her at @obrunacini

Want to join the conversation? Send an email to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. Keep letters under 300 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

×