Women’s rights club aims to inform voters

Planned Parenthood on Apache Boulevard and South Dorsey Lane is a government-funded organization that aids low-income women with reproductive health care and sex education. The ASU club Woman as Hero will address issues like women's reproductive rights at its Oct. 25 roundtable meeting. (Photo by Jenn Allen)

Planned Parenthood on Apache Boulevard and South Dorsey Lane is a government-funded organization that aids low-income women with reproductive health care and sex education. The ASU club Woman as Hero will address issues like women's reproductive rights at its Oct. 18 roundtable meeting. (Photo by Jenn Allen)

The Woman as Hero club, which seeks to empower women through education, will inform students about voting issues pertinent to women in this year’s presidential election at its Oct. 18 roundtable meeting.

Founded in 2009, the club was born out of a desire to support women in higher education, club president Nesima Aberra said.

Aberra, a global studies senior, said club members wish to develop a meeting environment for girls and women that is empowering and welcoming.

The club meets twice a month and holds two types of meetings, regular and roundtable meetings.

“Roundtable meetings were started to engage our numbers more,” Aberra said. “People wanted discussions and debates, not just information.”

The club has a long-term goal of familiarizing students with election issues so they can feel comfortable discussing them critically.

“We’re not endorsing any party, but we want people to remember that there are issues that affect women that can be voted on here,” Aberra said.

The speakers are still unconfirmed, Aberra said in an email.

The focus of the upcoming meeting will address international issues, she said.

The club is aiming for two speakers and has invited members from ASU Young Democrats and ASU College Republicans to explain how both parties are approaching women as a special interest group.

Speakers will decide their own topics, but Aberra said they will cover each party’s platform and outreach to women on issues such as civil rights, reproductive rights and equal pay. This will be followed by a question and answer session.

Club Vice President Lauren Sandground said Woman as Hero wants to empower girls and women internationally.

“(The club aims) to make sure that all who come leave well informed and, hopefully, come back for another round,” Sandground said.

She said the club wants to inspire members to stay up to date on media issues without club guidance.

Business sophomore Xochitl Rascon said part of the event will address women’s medical rights.

“Right now, there’s a contentious debate on women’s health,” Rascon said.

Rascon said participants walk away with a clearer definition of where they stand on issues.

Social work senior Sydney Harrison has been a part of the club since fall 2011.

Harrison said the greatest weapon in any election is a well-informed voter.

“We want people to know what it is they’re voting for,” Harrison said.

Reach the reporter at smande17@asu.edu

×