Art Murmur: Dia de los Muertos DIY altar

A traditionally-crafted altar created for the writer's grandfather. Photo by Alec Damiano

In Mexico and other countries, Nov. 2 is Dia de los Muertos or “Day of the Dead.” It coincides with Halloween and the Catholic holidays of All Saint’s Day (Nov. 1) and All Souls Day (Nov. 2). The holiday’s origins have been traced to an Aztec festival held for the goddess Mictecacihuatl.

The living enjoy sugar skulls and pan de muerto, a type of bread only made at this time of year. They also dress as skeletons and celebrate the lives of those who have passed on.

Traditions vary from region to region but offerings are a constant.

People leave these offerings, or ofrendas, at the graves of their loved ones or create altars in their honor. Offerings usually consist of marigolds, food and beverages the deceased loved ones enjoyed. Altars usually contain photographs of the deceased, images of the Christian cross and images or figurines of the Virgin Mary or other saints.

For this Dia de los Muertos, I created a miniature altar to commemorate the life of my grandfather, Francisco Antonio Damiano.

Supplies:

Shoebox

Papel picado (tissue paper) or doilies

Photograph of loved one

Cardboard or card stock

Pen/marker

Cross or other religious symbol

Tape or glue

Objects that represent your loved one

Battery-operated tea light candle

Steps:

1. Wrap the inside of the box with the tissue paper.

2. Scan or print out a photograph of your loved one. If you so desire, make a frame out of cardboard or card stock.

3. Create a “grave marker” that contains your loved one’s name, date of birth, and date of death.

4. Paste the grave marker, photograph and religious symbol into the box.

5. Choose some objects that represent your loved one, be they hobbies, favorite foods, or symbols of their occupation. My grandfather was a truck driver, so I used a miniature semi-truck. He also loved animals and owned horses, so I also used a horse. He liked smoking and drinking, so I included a cigarette and a small amount of Bacardi.

6. Turn on the tea light candle and place it inside the altar. The objects in your altar will vary according to what your loved one enjoyed. Some people might put paintbrushes for an artist and a violin for a musician. Trust your intuition.

Do you know of any interesting art, entertainment or crafts  you’d like me to cover? Tweet me at @DamianoAlec or email me at Alec.Damiano@asu.edu. To see some of my artwork, click here.

×