Going to the libraries at ASU can be a lot like going to the gym. No one really wants to be there. Students “check in” at the library on Facebook as often as they check into the gym.

Step into any one of ASU’s libraries and you may feel like you stepped into a scene from the 1980s, when users of outdated, brick cellphones may walk by at any moment.

Walk around looking for a seat next to an outlet and you’ll realize that the building probably hasn’t been remodeled since laptops became necessary for a college education. Excuse me Lambda Chi, but outlets are a valuable commodity here at ASU. But, if you study at Hayden, Noble, or the Design library, you already knew that.

Personally, I avoid Hayden Library at all costs. It’s too noisy and my chances of finding a decent seat are fairly low. Sometimes I make the trip over to the Design library, but never in the hotter months, as it’s far from most of my classes. Noble is my go-to. Noble has a friendlier vibe and a welcoming staff, but sadly, that can’t be said about the décor.

Let’s face it. There is nothing sciencey about Noble. It’s about as inspiring as the Language and Literature building. The color palette doesn’t reach outside of a brown color swatch and the study rooms remind me of detainment rooms.

When prospective students “tour” Noble, I’m embarrassed. Thankfully, and without wonder, the tour never goes further than a few steps. If you’re going to showcase ASU’s innovation, do not give tours of the libraries.

ASU has built quite a few modern buildings in the past several years. There’s the Biodesign Institute, the new Interdisciplinary building and the new business school. They’re even expanding beyond the classroom to build a new “Block 12,” and there are plans to renovate Sun Devil Stadium.

Because I’m a student who focuses more on schoolwork than sports, I see nothing wrong with Sun Devil Stadium in it’s current state. I would much rather see the $300 million spent on library renovations.

Renovating a library would be a fraction of the cost of renovating the stadium. Take, for example, Ohio State University’s 2007 library remodel. According to The Chronicle of Higher Education, it was one of the “biggest academic-library renovation projects in recent history,” coming in at $109 million. The remodeled library features a modern design, increased seating, a terrace garden, a scholars’ lounge and a new reading room atop its 10-story tower.

I wish that ASU would undergo renovations for one of their libraries. Students could use a new study space that is inspiring and isn’t stuck in the 1980s.

Like many students, I came to ASU to learn — not for the football games. It’s a shame to see that my tuition dollars are so highly invested in the latter.

Reach the columnist at obrunaci@asu.edu, or follow her at @OBrunacini

Want to join the conversation? Send an email to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. Keep letters under 300 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

×