‘Flight’ takes audiences on turbulent emotional ride

(Photo courtesy of Paramount Pictures)
(Photo courtesy of Paramount Pictures)

(Photo courtesy of Paramount Pictures)

Pitchforks: 4/5

Rating: R

Release: Nov. 2

It is apparent in the beginning of “Flight” that Denzel Washington’s character does what he wants, and what he wants to do is drink.

“Flight” begins with intense action, but the movie itself does not necessarily fall into the action genre. After saving many lives in an amazingly orchestrated plane crash, Whip Witaker (Washington) is put under the microscope of officials in the airline community. This would not be a big deal for a hero in most cases, but because Witaker is a substance abuser, he receives an overwhelming level of scrutiny.

The audience is brought along on the journey of an alcoholic as he goes from denial to acceptance of his addiction. Emotionally, the movie is a bumpy ride of highs and lows. There are parts that are exceptionally funny — anything with Witaker’s best friend Harling (John Goodman) is bound to make the entire theater burst into laughter.

Other times, the movie is lower than low. Witnessing Witaker at his most depressed state and reminiscing about a family he no longer sees is emotionally draining. The film’s ability to make the audience laugh and cry can be chaotic but ultimately rewarding, as it accurately depicts the emotional unpredictability of a recovering alcoholic.

Being that Whitaker is the protagonist in the film, audience members hope he will successfully recover, but instead he continues to disappoint them. The movie highlights the way alcoholics function, and the effect is a blaringly realistic situation where viewers want Whitaker to want to stay sober for himself. When he disappoints, it becomes hard to watch.

The religious undertones in “Flight” are strange and somewhat confusing. It is hard to tell if the film is making fun of the 12-step process of Alcoholics Anonymous — of which one step is to surrender to a higher power — or if the audience is simply led to see the process through Witaker’s eyes and be skeptical of it all. Different people may connect with the way the filmmakers comment on religion, but the subtlety of their opinions leave the message up for interpretation.

“Flight” is definitely worth watching. The realism of the story will take you on an emotional rollercoaster ride and leave you both sighing and cringing in your seat. Just the powerful scene of the plane crash is worth the ticket.

Reach the reporter at mmgilber@asu.edu

×