Did you enjoy that half-time break between articles?

That’s how the season is going for the ASU Men’s Golf team, as the team prepares for a three month gap between tournaments. The team will have to wait until January to play their next round of golf in Tucson for the Arizona Invitational.

While some coaches might not like the idea of a “half-time” to a competitive season, Coach Tim Mickelson is optimistic about the 95-day break between tournaments.

“I’m actually very happy about the three month gap between tournaments for two reasons,” Mickelson says. “This gives our freshman a chance to get caught up in school and just enjoy college life a little bit after traveling five out of seven weekends to compete. Second, with the exception of one player, I think we have a lot of room for improvement as everyone has an aspect of their game that needs improvement.”

For traveling five out of seven weekends, the freshmen on the team seem to be adapting well with Jon Rahm Rodriguez leading the group to a second place finish in the Bill Cullum Invitational - and a personal win as well.

Rodriguez, the freshman Spaniard, became the first freshman since 2008 to outright win a tournament.

“He certainly brings a lot of hype as to what he'll be able to accomplish over the next few years,” says Mickelson. “He brings an attitude that he should win tournaments and that brings a positive atmosphere to the other members of the team as well.”

Tim Mickelson, the younger brother of PGA professional Phil Mickelson, got his coaching career started at the University of San Diego where he led the team to its most successful season ever in 2009-10.

Mickelson was a part of the 1996 ASU Championship team, before finishing his collegiate career at Oregon State University.

The team will continue their travels to Tucson, Hawaii and Palm Desert, Calif. for their next three tournaments.

You can reach me at etrianta@asu.edu

×