Off-campus events to help de-stress before finals

Photo courtesy of Alice Cooper's Christmas Pudding Benefit

The tension in the air around the Tempe campus has been steadily increasing. The crowds shuffling into Hayden Library are at an all-time high, and the smell of coffee is inescapable. These are signs that finals week is approaching.

The assignments we have been putting off since August are now seeing their imminent due dates, and some are probably searching questions such as, “Is it possible to die from stress?” on Google.

Beating stress is difficult, and many people suffer from physical side effects from stress. With next week being the time most students are stressed out of their wits, students should try to live up their last weekend of the semester.

Whether it’s hosting a simple Christmas party with friends or dancing at one of the year’s largest raves, there are many activities and events students can partake in to put their work aside and be reminded that life is too short to be buried in stress and textbooks.

Who can resist a good rock concert? A better question: Who can resist a good rock concert from Alice Cooper with Johnny Depp as a guest star? Alice Cooper’s 12th Annual Christmas Pudding event on Saturday at Comerica Theatre in Phoenix is sure to be a show unlike any other. With John O’Hurley from “Seinfeld” hosting and a steamy guitar-driven performance from Depp, this year’s Christmas Pudding is going to be delicious. Ticket prices range from $35 to $100.

On the La La Land Music Festival’s Facebook event, over 2,000 people have said they are attending. If rock concerts aren’t your thing, and you would rather dance like your body is seizing, perhaps La La Land is where you will be at Friday.

Datsik and Cosmic Gate are the big headliners of the festival. The all-ages event will be held at the Phoenix Convention Center and starts at 4 p.m. Students who need to relieve stress can be expected to attend, as well as those who look like their neon-themed closet exploded on them. Or, maybe it was a nervous breakdown that caused them to dress in furry boots, little shorts and candy beads.

There are two things that are quite abundant during the month of December: lights and tight budgets. Luckily, the city of Tempe has found a way to combine these two things to create a free event filled with lights and Christmas spirit. The Fantasy of Lights Boat Parade on Tempe Town Lake will illuminate the park with themed boat floats sure to entertain a wide variety of age groups. Boats will begin parading around the lake at 7 p.m., and vendors will be present selling hot chocolate and other snacks. Better yet, fireworks will conclude the event, as if Santa Claus’s attendance isn’t magical enough.

Everyone handles stress differently. Some like to work out, while others prefer to eat their weight in cookie dough and watch ABC Family’s “25 Days of Christmas.” The point of the last weekend of this semester should be to embrace the freedom before finals enslave us all. Spend time with friends before winter break, take a walk and look at some Christmas lights. ‘Tis the season to stress, but before you do, take advantage of the weekend’s possibilities.

Reach the reporter at arts.statepress@gmail.com

×