Devil Dish: Cardinals must draft OL

Can you figure out what these numbers mean: 32, 75.2, 58?

They are the Arizona Cardinals' offensive rank, average number of rushing yards per game and number of sacks allowed this season, respectively.

Those are pathetic and need to be fixed. Now.

The first one can be attributed to a lack of consistency at the quarterback position, but the last two are a direct result of the offensive line’s poor play.

The good news for Cardinals fans is that there will likely be plenty of offensive line prospects in this year’s NFL Draft, depending how many declare. Arizona must take advantage.

If he declares, as expected, Texas A&M left tackle Luke Joeckel would be a perfect fit. He’s 6 feet 6 inches tall, 310 pounds and excels in pass protection.

Unfortunately, Joeckel will likely be drafted before the Cardinals can get him.

There is also Alabama offensive guard Chance Warmack. At 6 feet 3 inches tall and 320 pounds, he blocks like the Crimson Tide’s elephant mascot.

The Cardinals should have the opportunity to draft Warmack.

Other first round caliber offensive line prospects include: Jonathan Cooper from North Carolina, Jake Matthews from Texas A&M, Taylor Lewan from Michigan and Barrett Jones from Alabama. Get the hint here?

If the Cardinals are really serious about winning, they will draft a lineman with their first pick.

Reach reporter at ejsmith7@asu.edu

×