ASU men's hoops' loss to UCLA devastating for tourney hopes

The Arizona State men’s basketball team suffered yet another last second defeat this season.

The Sun Devils (20-9, 9-7 Pac-12) fell to UCLA 79-74 in overtime in Pauley Pavilion Wednesday.

The Sun Devils had a chance to tie the game in overtime, but junior guard Evan Gordon and sophomore forward Jonathan Gilling missed consecutive three-pointers with less than 45 seconds left.

UCLA freshman guard Jordan Adams then sunk two free throws to ice the game for the Bruins (21-7, 11-4 Pac-12).

Redshirt freshman point guard Jahii Carson was the only source of offense for ASU in the final five minutes of the game.

Down 67-63 with 2:56 left, Carson scored the last seven points to tie the game at 70 and force overtime. Carson finished with 23 points, on 10-of-23 shooting, with seven assists and five rebounds.

The Bruins countered with their freshman three-headed monster in Adams, freshman forward Shabazz Muhammad and freshman wing Kyle Anderson.

They scored 64 of UCLA’s 79 points and were the only Bruins in double figures. Anderson added 15 rebounds and four blocks to his line.

The Bruins shot 42.4 percent in the game and 8-of-22 on three-pointers.

The Sun Devils were efficient to start the game up until the Bruins mixed in a zone late in the first half.

Gilling had 18 points on six three-pointers and five rebounds. Senior wing Carrick Felix scrapped for loose balls and finished with 16 points and 18 rebounds.

The Bruins played without junior forward Travis Wear once again like they did the first time these teams faced off. Junior center Jordan Bachynski had one of his career-best games against UCLA earlier in the season without Wear, but he had just 10 points and seven rebounds Wednesday.

The Sun Devils’ chances at an NCAA Tournament bid are almost at an unreachable level following this loss. They have to win out and make a deep run in the Pac-12 Tournament, if not win the tournament and grab the automatic NCAA bid.

This nearly impossible road starts Saturday at USC. Tip-off is 1 p.m. on Fox Sports Net and 860 AM.

Reach the reporter at mtesfats@asu.edu

×