Devil Dish: Grizzlies make smart move trading Rudy Gay

The second best defensive team in the NBA made a seemingly unpopular move that may end up increasing its defensive abilities.

The Memphis Grizzlies sent Rudy Gay to the Toronto Raptors Wednesday in a three-team trade with the Detroit Pistons as well. The Grizzlies received forwards Austin Daye and Tayshaun Prince in the exchange.

The Grizzlies’ organization needed to make a decision on whether it wanted to keep both of its bigs, Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol, or keep only one along with Gay.

I thought the Grizzlies management's choice may not have been the popular one. But it was the smart one.

Although Gay has been around for so long, his inevitable luxury-tax-creating contract would’ve stuck around for the next couple years as well.

Gay is also having his worst year in scoring since his rookie season. He also hasn't been efficient, shooting only 41 percent from the field and 31 percent from three.

Memphis in return though is gaining a defensive and athletic veteran in Tayshaun Prince, as well as a lottery pick who has something to prove in Austin Daye.

The Grizzlies defense should only get tougher to score on from here out.

Reach the reporter at gdemano@asu.edu

×