Devil Dish: Indiana-Michigan the ideal matchup

Michigan and Indiana squared off in an old-fashioned battle Saturday between top-5 teams for a spot atop the Big Ten and a spot on top of the national polls.

Filled with highlight plays all across the court, the game ended with the Hoosiers pulling out an emotionally charged victory that propelled them to the top of the rankings on Monday morning.

The primetime matchup ended up being arguably the best basketball game this season and lived up to the hype that surrounded the high-powered contest.

It was the type of game that college basketball fans both needed and deserved. Too often do top-tier teams meet up in lackluster games that ends with one team having its ranking in question.

Saturday delivered a game between two storied programs, both in the midst of returning back to glory and left fans wanting more.

A matchup like this isn’t going to come again this season and will force fans to wait until March to possibly see another great matchup like this.

But without the allure of a rich, historic setting like Bloomington, Indiana, it may be a full year till we see another game that displays college basketball at its finest again.

Reach the reporter at talopez3@asu.edu

×