No. 3 ASU softball looks to stay perfect in 2nd home tourney

Junior pitcher Mackenize Popescue fires a pitch against Portland State on Feb.23. The ASU softball team looks to stay undefeated when they host their second tournament of the year the Wilson/DeMarini Invitational. 
(Photo by Dominic Valente)
Junior pitcher Mackenize Popescue fires a pitch against Portland State on Feb.23. The ASU softball team looks to stay undefeated when they host their second tournament of the year the Wilson/DeMarini Invitational. (Photo by Dominic Valente)

Junior pitcher Mackenize Popescue fires a pitch against Portland State on Feb.23. The ASU softball team looks to stay undefeated when they host their second tournament of the year the Wilson/DeMarini Invitational.  (Photo by Dominic Valente) Junior pitcher Mackenize Popescue fires a pitch against Portland State on Feb.23. The ASU softball team looks to stay undefeated when they host their second tournament of the year the Wilson/DeMarini Invitational.
(Photo by Dominic Valente)

Through four weeks, ASU is one of four undefeated Division I softball teams.

The Sun Devils look to keep it that way when they host the Wilson/DeMarini Invitational against some tougher competition.

Last weekend, the perfect start nearly ended.

ASU trailed by a run in the ninth inning Friday (an extra inning in softball) and won in the seventh inning on Sunday.

Each time the Sun Devils faced an adverse situation, they came through in the end. As more tight situations occur, eventually they could drop a game.

“It’s always in the back of your mind,” junior pitcher Dallas Escobedo said. “I feel like the seventh inning (Sunday) was more ASU softball: Putting key things together, getting on base, hitting your pitch in your zone. We focused in way more when we needed to, but we need to have that focus for the rest of the game.”

The Sunday game was exceptionally stressful. Almost the entire game, ASU’s offense couldn’t produce until the final inning.

“The mindset was to keep calm, stick with your plan, but to also execute,” junior outfielder Alix Johnson said. “A lot of people you could see it in their eyes were kind of nervous. A lot of people thought we were going to lose that game, but you just have to stay calm.”

The team kept calm and won the game 4-3.

Johnson has made sacrifices this season to help the team win.

Johnson is known as mainly a power hitter, but she has acted like left-handed slap hitter this season. She has also laid down the occasional bunt.

"A lot of people don’t see me as a bunter or slapper," she said. "It used to be part of my game when I was in high school. (It’s) something to switch it up, keep defense on their toes.”

Johnson has also been hurting teams with her speed. She stole three bases against Portland State.

“I think I’ll have a good opportunity to steal a lot more this year,” she said. “I know I’m fast enough to take advantage, to take extra bases."

This weekend, the schedule difficulty picks up toward the end of the Invitational. The Sun Devils play North Carolina Saturday and No. 20 Baylor Sunday.

North Carolina received votes in both polls and the Bears are on a torrid 14-game winning streak.

In ASU's run to the national championship in 2011, it defeated Baylor in the semifinals round of the Women’s College World Series.

Whether it's undefeated or not, Johnson said ASU will always have a major target on its back because it is a traditional powerhouse.

Here’s ASU’s full schedule in the Wilson/DeMarini Invitational at Farrington Stadium:

Thursday vs. North Dakota 7 p.m.

Friday vs. Binghamton 4:30 p.m., vs. North Dakota 7 p.m.

Saturday vs. East Carolina 4:30 p.m., vs. North Carolina 7 p.m.

Sunday vs. No. 20 Baylor 11:30 a.m.

Reach the reporter at justin.janssen@asu.edu

×