Q&A: Clarke on growing up, winning national titles

(Photo Courtesy of ASU Athletics)
(Photo Courtesy of ASU Athletics)

(Photo Courtesy of ASU Athletics) (Photo Courtesy of ASU Athletics)

The No. 13 ASU men's track and field team is filled with some of the top talent in the country with six athletes ranked in the top 25 in their respective events. Redshirt senior thrower Jordan Clarke is one of those, but he is the only Sun Devil ranked No. 1.

The Alaska native is a three-time national champion, with two coming last season in both indoor and outdoor and his third in 2011's outdoor season. The 22-year-old became only the 15th NCAA athlete to win back-to-back shot put championships since 1921.

Clarke is on this year's Bowerman Award Watch List, which recognizes the nation's top track and field athlete. He took the time from his national champion workout regime to talk with The State Press about his life, shot put and being a national champion.

The State Press: What's it like being from Anchorage, Alaska, and what was life like there?

Jordan Clarke: It was great growing up there. It’s definitely a different place from the Valley; much more slow-moving, and the people are very friendly and welcoming. Since there is six months of winter, I had to keep myself busy by snowboarding, (playing) sports and friends. I really enjoyed it, but it’s definitely not for everyone!

SP: How did you get into shot put in Alaska, and did you compete in any other events in high school?

JC: I picked it up in middle school. My P.E. teacher asked me to try it out one day, and it was something I enjoyed enough to pursue until high school. I didn’t take it very seriously until my sophomore year. I also played football all through high school, baseball for a year, until it interfered with track — played baseball for eight years prior to high school — and I wrestled for a year as well.

SP: Were there any other sports, activities or jobs that were significant in your training to eventually become interested/good in the event?

JC: I think a gradual build up of all the sports I played growing up had a positive effect on me. I think it definitely made me more of a well-rounded athlete, which ultimately contributed to being a successful shot-putter.

SP: When you were young, were there any significant moments that just solidified the idea that you wanted to compete in the shot put over football?

JC: I would say it was my sophomore year at the state meet, (and) I had a big competitor at the time. He was a senior, and we were dead even all season, battling back and forth through the rankings. At the state meet, I ended up beating him, but it was a great competition for both of us. We both PR'd (personal record). I got the first real adrenaline rush from competing on an individual level, and I loved it. It was much different than a team sport.

SP: Was there anyone in particular that had a direct influence and impact on your life, whether as a mentor or idol?

JC: Both of my parents have played a significant aspect in my life. My mom has been there since day one and has never left my side, and my dad has turned me into the man I am today. If it wasn’t for him, I would not be where I am today or the person I am today. And if it wasn’t for all the sacrifices and support both of them have given me, I wouldn’t have ever have had this opportunity (that) I am currently going through.

SP: Did you receive any honors or awards while a high school athlete?

JC: I was awarded the Gatorade Athlete of the Year of Alaska my senior year of high school. I felt very honored to have received it!

SP: What drew you to ASU of all colleges, especially being you may have had wide selection coming from Alaska due to everything is relatively far from home?

JC: (Throwers) coach Dave Dumble. His track record as a coach is untouchable, and he has had such tremendous success in his short 13 or so years as a coach. He’s not just a great coach on the field, but off the field as well. Secondly, was the school and the environment. Everything at ASU seemed to fit perfectly. I was looking for a place I would have fun, see myself living for at least five years, a good program and good education. ASU was the whole package for me.

SP: What's your career/tenure been like at ASU?

JC: I would say it has been very successful. It sure hasn’t been easy though. I have dealt with many types of adversity, as everyone does as a person and athlete. Injuries, family issues, etc. But I have been very fortunate to have a great support system that has assisted me along the way.

SP: What do you want to do after ASU, whether it's something with your exploratory major or whatever else?

JC: I graduate in May in the BIS program with exercise and wellness/nutrition management concentrations. For the short term, I plan on training until at least 2016, hopefully. I have aspirations to become an Olympian. After my throwing career is over, I want to get into a field that helps people — something along the lines of corporate wellness, strength and conditioning, coaching, etc. I want to find a field that I enjoy and have a passion for.

SP: Explain the national championship meet — take me through your feelings, emotions and reactions from beginning to end.

JC: The NCAA meet is awesome. It’s what makes you feel like all the hard work you put in is worth it. It’s your payday so to speak. I always get butterflies before they start in the morning. I get super excited, but (I) harness it, tame it. I don’t get any surge of adrenaline all day until its time to compete. Once I start warming up, all jitters go away. I flip a switch in my mind. The flip switches to aggression — it's go time. It's my time. As I am warming up, I am calm and collected, focusing on the technical aspects of my technique and the aspects of what I will do to throw far. Once they announce my name to take my first throw, it's go time. I step in the circle and do my thing. I am on autopilot. Any thought of failure, doubt or negativity escapes from every pore from my body. My confidence is high, my body is amped, and my mind is filled with aggression to who challenges me.

After the meet is over, I am very happy with my results. Then, after about an hour, it feels like a train hits me. I am instantly exhausted and ready to relax and celebrate. I can’t describe the feeling when you have that throw that just connects and how effortless it is. The adrenaline and competition is unreal. It’s what competitors thrive for.

SP: What does being a national champion mean to you?

JC: I think it means a great deal. Only two people a year can become one in my sport, and there are hundreds of throwers in the country. I think it is a reward for the time and effort I have put in. To get to a high level you have to sacrifice a significant amount. It is something that I can carry (with) me for the rest of my life and something that can’t be taken away. I am just very proud to be a Sun Devil and bring something like this back to ASU.

SP: Once you graduate, how do you want to be remembered as an ASU athlete?

JC: I would like to be remembered for my drive, motivation and sacrifices I have made to become the best I can be. I have learned from the teammates and fellow athletes before me, and I hope I can carry on the Sun Devil tradition.

Reach the reporter at msterrel@asu.edu

×