Tech Spec: ASU Print Anywhere

ASU’s official Print Anywhere setup allows for students at any of the four campuses to print from either their computer or a school computer for a small fee. Screenshot by Courtland Jeffrey

It is not every day that you see me writing about printers. I actually try to avoid writing about those things because nothing amazing has come from them recently. While this is still true, ASU has tried to make printing that much easier with their recent enactment of the Print Anywhere feature offered on campus.

The program, which started yesterday, is a way to save some time when you are in a hurry to print off documents. ASU’s Print Anywhere program allows students to print at any of the designated Print Anywhere locations on each of the four campuses. This program has been in testing since the fall of 2012, offering free printing services to students. But now that the program is official, get ready to pay when you need a hard copy of that class assignment.

ASU’s official Print Anywhere setup allows for students at any of the four campuses to print from either their computer or a school computer for a small fee. Screenshot by Courtland Jeffrey ASU’s official Print Anywhere setup allows for students at any of the four campuses to print from either their computer or a school computer for a small fee. Screenshot by Courtland Jeffrey

The Print Anywhere program becoming official sounds like it is just hurting students more than helping them, because it forces them to spend more money. In reality, the move to make this process pay–as–you–print is meant to cut down on wasteful printing as ASU is pushing for zero solid waste by the year 2015, according to an email that was sent out last week.

Another upside to this streamlined printing process is that you can now print your documents at one of the Print Anywhere locations from literally anywhere with the use of your computer. To take advantage of printing from your personal computer, simply follow the how-to steps for both Windows and Mac computers (Windows users need to install an add-on to take advantage of this part of the program).

The only big things that have come to personal printers are the amalgamation of the printer, scanner, copier and fax into the “all–in–one” printer and (finicky) wireless printing. Printers have rightfully been known for being the piece of junk that takes 20 minutes to start up and “calibrate,” print everything with a pink hue and even will run out of ink when your midterm is due.

The technology industry could seriously devote some time to improving printers. Until then, enjoy the new Print Anywhere setup at ASU so you do not have to directly deal with another printer fight, like this CollegeHumor video that explains my printer life and probably yours too.

If you have something to say about printers or the Print Anywhere feature at ASU, let me know on Twitter @Court_Jeffrey or via email at cejeffre@asu.edu. Happy printing!

×