Art of the Matter: DIY Decorative Glassware

Voila! Throw a party and get some use out of your awesome shot . . . I mean . . . oddly small but totally regular glasses.

It’s that time of the month again! Yep, that time of the month. The exact one you’re thinking of…

ART OF THE MATTER DIY TIME!

I can tell you’re just as excited as I am.

The other day I was thinking: I wonder if my glassware could look any cooler?  (A thought I have all too often, but I’m sure we all do right?)

Well it turns out your glassware can look way cooler, and I’m going to show you how you can marble it with nail polish.

Here goes…

Step 1.

Pick out the glassware and nail polish you’ll be using, obviously. Once you’ve done that, you’ll want to find a container (I used disposable so I wouldn’t be constantly afraid to use the glass I filled with nail polish toxins, but you can use whatever).  Fill that (hopefully disposable) container with water. The amount doesn’t matter.

Fill your red Solo cup . . .  I mean disposable container disposable container with water. Fill your red Solo cup . . . I mean disposable container disposable container with water.

Choose nail polish colors that complement one another. Choose nail polish colors that complement one another.

Step 2.

Use painter’s tape, or improvise with regular scotch tape, and wrap it around the base of the glass to keep the “marble” from getting everywhere. Next comes the creative part: take your different nail polish colors and drop drops into the cup of water. They might spread and they might not. I couldn’t really figure out what made them do what. Basically it’s a crapshoot so be weird with it.

Tape the base of your glass. Or don’t. I’ll respect your decisions either way. Tape the base of your glass. Or don’t. I’ll respect your decisions either way.

The nail polish might act weird in the water. Seriously, it took me like four times to get this shot. The nail polish might act weird in the water. Seriously, it took me like four times to get this shot.

Step 3.

Take a safety pin or toothpick and swirl the drops around so it creates a fun pattern. Dip the glass into the swirly pretty water and hold it for a few seconds. When you pull the glass out, you can remove the tape and clean up the edges with a Q-tip and nail-polish-remover.

Once you have a satisfying amount of color, swirl the polish together. Once you have a satisfying amount of color, swirl the polish together.

Dip the glass carefully, and try to pick up as much polish as possible. Dip the glass carefully, and try to pick up as much polish as possible.

Remove (or don’t) the tape you put (or didn’t) on the base of your glass. Remove (or don’t) the tape you put (or didn’t) on the base of your glass.

Touch-ups can be made with nail polish remover, but imperfections are cool too. Touch-ups can be made with nail polish remover, but imperfections are cool too.

Step 4.

Let your polish dry and apply a coat of clear nail polish.

Let dry. Or, use immediately and get nail polish everywhere. Let dry. Or, use immediately and get nail polish everywhere.

Voila! Throw a party and get some use out of your awesome shot . . . I mean . . . oddly small but totally regular glasses.  Voila! Throw a party and get some use out of your awesome shot . . . I mean . . . oddly small but totally regular glasses.

Cool right? It’s such an easy way to decorate boring glasses. And now, you’ll get excited when you see the bottom of the glass after every shot . . . I mean drink.

If you’d like to reach me with comments, concerns or suggestions, you can email me at anconrad13@gmail.com or tweet me @alliectersely

×