ASU softball's wins Friday match best start in program history

Junior pitcher Dallas Escobedo rotates her arm one more time before launching a pitch against North Dakota on Feb. 28. Escobedo got the win but it was the team's bats that up 15 runs against UND.  (Photo by Dominic Valente)
Junior pitcher Dallas Escobedo rotates her arm one more time before launching a pitch against North Dakota on Feb. 28. Escobedo got the win but it was the team's bats that up 15 runs against UND. (Photo by Dominic Valente)

A North Dakota batter tries to see the movement of a pitch from junior Dallas Escobedo on Feb. 28. The ASU softball team's wins on Friday March 1 put them at 19-0 tying their best start in program history. (Photo by Dominic Valente) A North Dakota batter tries to see the movement of a pitch from junior Dallas Escobedo on Feb. 28. The ASU softball team's wins on Friday, March 1, puts it at 19-0, tying its best start in program history. (Photo by Dominic Valente)

The ASU softball team (19-0) matched its best start in program history with wins over Binghamton (1-5) and North Dakota (2-7) on Friday.

ASU accomplished this feat in impressive fashion. In the double header Friday, junior pitcher Mackenzie Popescue pitched a no-hitter, and the Sun Devils outscored their two opponents 17-1.

“It means that we’re playing pretty good,” ASU coach Clint Myers said. “We’ve said since (preseason) that this is a pretty good team. When they take care of business, and we go out there and do the things we prepare, we’ve got a pretty good chance for a positive outcome.”

It was just another day at work for ASU’s offense. Against Binghamton, ASU piled on nine runs and 11 hits. Ten of the hits and all of the runs were scored in the first three innings, when ASU put the game out of reach early.

Freshman pitcher Alexis Cooper made her first career start against Binghamton. Copper pitched a complete game and in five innings allowed two hits, one run, one walk and struck out three hitters.

“It wasn’t my best performance, but I think getting the first one under your belt is a really important thing to have happen,” Cooper said. “I feel a lot better now that I have my first career win.”

Cooper allowed a run in the second inning. Sophomore third baseman Haley Steele went over to the mound and calmed her down. After the mound meeting, Cooper retired her final 10 hitters.

“It’s always nice to have that leadership with someone who’s been there to come and calm me down,” Cooper said.

Myers said Cooper is going to get more innings as the season progresses.

“It was an important day for her,” Myers said. "She’s got a lot of softball ahead of her. She’s going to pitch better than she did tonight. First start, freshman, it was a fun time for her. She pitched well.”

Junior outfielder Mary Spiel made her first start of the season in place of sophomore outfielder Elizabeth Caporuscio. Spiel also started the second game against North Dakota and had three hits in five at-bats combined.

It was the first time Caporuscio didn’t start a game in her first two seasons. Myers said Caporuscio had a bad back.

In each of the first three innings against Binghamton, ASU scored three times.

ASU routs North Dakota

Well, that escalated quickly.

Before North Dakota was able to make an out, ASU scored six runs forcing a quick pitching change. Even with run cushion Popescue did not ease up on the mound. The junior dominated North Dakota recording her second career no hitter.

ASU sent 13 hitters to bat in the explosive eight-run first inning.

Junior catcher Lucy Aubrecht hit a three-run home run putting ASU in the lead 6-0. ASU wasn’t done after the switch.

Junior shortstop Cheyenne Coyle hit a two-run double to left and finally the Sun Devils finished the first inning onslaught.

“We got good pitches to hit (that) we put swings on,” Myers said. “Once the ball leaves the bat, nobody has control.”

Neither ASU nor North Dakota scored after the first inning.

Reach the reporter at justin.janssen@asu.edu

×