Devil Dish: Dennis Rodman the diplomat

This past weekend, the fate of the U.S.'s sensitive relations with North Korea was in the hands of former NBA star Dennis Rodman.

Yes, Dennis Rodman.

The flamboyant bad boy who has dyed his hair more colors than Craig Sager's suits, wore wedding dresses, married Carmen Electra and is the only reason why Metta World Peace won't go down as the strangest player in NBA history.

U.S. citizens were stunned when they found out that Rodman would travel to North Korea as an American diplomat to ease tensions and prevent nuclear war from breaking out between the two nations.

Sounds like a reasonable plan, right?

Actually, for the short run, it worked.

North Korean supreme leader Kim Jong Un chatted with Rodman at a basketball exhibition game and told Rodman to call President Barrack Obama so they can talk basketball.

All in the name of basketball.

This is why I love sports. Aside from the action, they bridge contrasting cultures. Sports has given nations a form of truce several times in history and offers a distraction from their struggles.

If U.S.-North Korea animosity truly settles down, we can all thank basketball and ambassador Rodman for making it possible.

Reach the reporter at
jnacion@asu.edu

×