Devil Dish: We may witness sports history

Senior thrower Eddie McClain gets set for a javelin throw during the ASU Invitational on March 23. McClain is part of a cohesive throwers unit whose bond has created success on the ASU track and field program. (Photo by Ana Ramirez)

Senior thrower Eddie McClain gets set for a javelin throw during the ASU Invitational on March 23. McClain is part of a cohesive throwers unit whose bond has created success on the ASU track and field program. (Photo by Ana Ramirez) Senior thrower Eddie McClain gets set for a javelin throw during the ASU Invitational on March 23. McClain is part of a cohesive throwers unit whose bond has created success on the ASU track and field program. (Photo by Ana Ramirez)

It seems that every decade, there is a moment in sports that sticks with fans for years.

Whether it’s been a hometown team winning a championship or witnessing the “Curse of the Bambino” vanish or seeing a record be broken, those historical moments don't come along often.

It's that one split second when history is broken and creates a story that can be told to kids and grandkids.

Some hear stories about Frankie Robinson and how he changed the game of baseball from grandparents; other hear of all-time greats like Steve Young or Michael Jordan from parents.

What will our generation remember?

Within the next month, we may witness a record that hasn’t been broken in over 40 years.

The Miami Heat is on a run to potentially break the NBA’s record for consecutive wins, and if all goes as is, it will be done.

Of the six games remaining that would tie the Heat with the 1971-72 Los Angeles Lakers' 33-game winning streak, Miami faces only three teams with winning records with four of them on the road.

History is in the making, and we may be able to say we saw the Heat make NBA and sports history.

Reach the columnist at mitch.terrell@asu.edu

×