Escobedo leads ASU softball to 5-4 win over Oregon State

Junior pitcher Dallas Escobedo had been there before.

The ASU ace faced a few tight situations in 2013 trying to finish off a game.

In a 5-4 loss to No. 14 Michigan March 15, she allowed the tying and go-ahead runs to score in the seventh inning. The next day against Pacific, Escobedo gave up two runs in the seventh to extend the game into extras.

Escobedo placed herself in a similar situation against No. 23 Oregon State (22-6) during ASU’s Pac-12 home opener. The Sun Devils led by three runs in the final frame. However, Escobedo gave up a home run to Oregon State sophomore center fielder Dani Gilmore, which cut the lead to one.

From there, the game could have turned either way. After a mound visit from pitching coach Chuck D’Arcy, Escobedo settled down and she retired the final three hitters of the game, giving No. 2 ASU (32-3) a 5-4 win.

It was the second two-run homer Escobedo gave up in the game. She also hit two batters, which she said was a product of overthrowing the ball.

“When you miss your pitch, they’re going to hit it,” Escobedo said.

Offensively, ASU had only five hits off Oregon State senior Marina Demore, though two were home runs.

“She did kind of have a pretty good change up and a low rise,” sophomore outfielder Elizabeth Caporuscio said. “If we see her again, we’ll for sure do better.”

ASU originally took the lead on Caporuscio’s fourth home run of the season, a solo shot to right field in the second inning.

ASU added two more runs in the inning, both scoring on ground balls in the infield. In the third inning, sophomore first baseman Bethany Kemp singled to drive in another run.

Just when the Sun Devils seemed to be in cruise control, Oregon State’s bats started to catch fire. In the fourth inning, Oregon State senior third baseman Desiree Beltran squared a pitch past the center field wall. It was a no-doubter.

After the home run, ASU had freshman pitcher Alexis Cooper warming in the bullpen, but elected to keep Escobedo in the game.

In the next three innings, Escobedo allowed just two base runners to reach. Sophomore third baseman Haley Steele pushed ASU’s lead to 5-2 with a home run just inside the foul pole.

In the seventh, Escobedo gave up the second Oregon State home run on what she said was a backdoor curve that caught too much of the plate.

"She made a bad pitch, and the girl capitalized," ASU coach Clint Myers said. "It wasn't where she wanted it. It's Dallas. She knuckled down and got the next three (hitters out)."

Reach the reporter at justin.janssen@asu.edu

×