Tech Spec: Finding the Right Tech Gift

Amazon may seem like a one–stop shop online, but there are many other (cooler) shops on the web to check out, like ThinkGeek. Screenshot by Courtland Jeffrey

I am a huge fan of getting someone a unique gift. It has to be something that shows the relationship between that person and me. But as everyone knows, it can be quite difficult to find that perfect item for a holiday or birthday. Luckily with the Internet, gift options are nearly endless. While I have a couple sites that I rely on for most of my digital spending, there have been a couple that have caught my eye.

For the videogame guru, you should check out Gamer Print. Gamer Print is a site based in the United Kingdom that offers products like T­–shirts, phone cases and posters. All of their products have unique designs of gaming hits from Pokémon to Portal to Zelda. The pricing is pretty average across the board; every item comes at a reasonable price (once you convert it from euros). This site is perfect for that friend who owns every game known to man but still wants something more.

Another site that offers a plethora of unique goods, which has gained popularity from Pinterest recently, is Etsy. This site is a sort-of marketplace that allows for users to both buy and sell arts, crafts and other goods. Before you write off this site because it sounds like some sort of place for your grandmas to swap sweaters, check it out! Since it has a large following, you can find that one–of–a–kind gift for anyone. If you know someone who has a liking to a sports team or maybe the recipient is requeseting a specific item, just run a search and you are likely to find something that fits your requirements. I have had my eye on these Super Mario Bros. 3 themed coasters for a while now (it may soon be time to purchase them).

While these sites have cool gift ideas, my favorite site is ThinkGeek. This place is a nerd’s paradise. It caters to the gamers, the television or movie buff and everyone in between. ThinkGeek is the type of online store that offers everything you do not need, but everything you want. They sell replica items to popular shows and games, as well as products that can entertain for hours. Sometimes you have no clue what to get someone, but ThinkGeek can quickly mend that issue with such diverse, pop culture–related stock. Plus, their frequent sales can be an added plus for the economical buyer.

Amazon may seem like a one–stop shop online, but there are many other (cooler) shops on the web to check out, like ThinkGeek. Screenshot by Courtland Jeffrey Amazon may seem like a one–stop shop online, but there are many other (cooler) shops on the web to check out, like ThinkGeek. Screenshot by Courtland Jeffrey

There are thousands of different shops that offer unique and intriguing goods from around the world that could not easily be found without the connectedness of the web. Maybe when you check out these sites, you might find something for yourself as well. While it may be hard, try not to forget that you are browsing these sites to get someone else a gift (it is a challenge for me).

If you have any comments or questions, email me at cejeffre@asu.edu and follow me on Twitter @Court_Jeffrey. Happy shopping!

×