Tech Spec: What makes Imgur and Reddit so Addictive?

These two sites, Reddit and Imgur, have sprung into Internet fame in the last year. But why is that and will it last? Screenshot by Courtland Jeffrey

Every college student has a favorite website to browse. Many jump on the social media bandwagon and flock to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (yes, Instagram has a limited way to browse the web). Others take to other sharing sites like Tumblr to kill a few minutes before class. But in the last year or two, Imgur and Reddit have been added to many students’ procrastination lists. What makes websites like these catch on so quickly?

These two sites, Reddit and Imgur, have sprung into Internet fame in the last year. But why is that and will it last? Screenshot by Courtland Jeffrey These two sites, Reddit and Imgur, have sprung into Internet fame in the last year. But why is that and will it last? Screenshot by Courtland Jeffrey

Simply put, people obsess over Imgur, Reddit and other sites because of the instantaneous emotional response that the sites inhibit. Imgur and Reddit both focus on showing what is the biggest news for the day (Imgur shows the top pictures, either related to news or something emotional, while Reddit shares links to stories, photos and videos). These sites rely on votes from users to determine what is “hot” or “controversial,” and as more users get involved in these virtual worlds, the faster the news changes. Having the combination of constantly updating feeds with interesting information creates a dynamic that pulls viewers in and keeps interacting with fellow Imgurians and Redditors.

Just checking to see what is new on these sites can quickly turn into hours of browsing funny YouTube videos and looking at photos of Tard the cat. The sheer following of these webpages have can make something like Tard or other memes go from unknown to viral hits in minutes. This entire system is user-driven and, as quickly as Imgur and Reddit became famous, they could fade away into the background if these communities give up their support. Luckily, plenty of lurkers (like you and me) browse user–powered sites, which means that they won’t be dying off anytime soon. Whether you have one minute or three hours to spend looking at photos of cute cats, just remember that you are the reason this site continues to run and maintains its level of popularity. In a sense, you helped to create something big and you hold the power to let it live or kill it off.  Choose your browsing experience wisely.

If you have any questions or comments, email me at cejeffre@asu.edu or message me on Twitter @Court_Jeffrey. Happy Browsing!

×