For those wondering what lasting effect The Tom Green show would have on Western civilization, tune in to Comedy Central on Feb. 28 at 10 p.m. and watch Ben Hoffman in (drumroll please) “The Ben Show with Ben Hoffman.”

For a grown man who looks like he is constantly just waking up, he’s managed to amass a relatively diverse résumé. From being an actor, a producer (“InfoMania”) and writer (“Sports Show with Norm Macdonald” and “Comedy Central Roast of Roseanne”), Hoffman has now been given the keys to his very own late night time slot.

This is part of a duo of new shows on Comedy Central. Following Hoffman's, “Nathan For You” continues this brand of comedy that has entranced Millennials since Tom Green penned “The Bum Bum Song (“Lonely Swedish”),” though not everyone is amused.

If the formula holds up, “The Ben Show with Ben Hoffman” looks to avoid the standard format by mixing and matching various interactions between Hoffman and the general public or scripted skits. Sometimes they’re related, other times, not so much.

In the series premiere, “Ben Buys A Gun,” we’re introduced to a hilarious rap on obituaries, an animated crack story with Todd Bridges and the story of fat Kyle (which might be the single greatest achievement in television history).

In the end, Ben does not buy a gun. He does, however, feature deer on the loose and an open audition for “Gangsta Granny.” If you make it to the second episode, audiences are given an inside look at the goings-on of a high school football team locker room during halftime.

If there is a way to describe how one should go about watching “The Ben Show with Ben Hoffman” and “Nathan For You,” it’s not to overthink it. If this isn’t your preferred cup of comedy tea, don’t fret something different will get the time slot in the coming months.

Reach the reporter at jbfortne@asu.edu or on Twitter at @JOMOFO40

×