ASU softball blasts 3 home runs, routs Washington in 2nd game

After scoring a season low one run, ASU softball coach Clint Myers made a couple lineup adjustments to spark the No. 2 Sun Devils (37-5, 8-3 Pac-12).

ASU’s new lineup helped snap its first two-game losing skid of the season and defeat Washington 7-1 in front of 2,088 fans at Farrington Stadium Saturday.

The loss Friday ended ASU’s 12-game streak of hitting a home run, but ASU hit three home runs in second game en route to victory.

Junior catcher Lucy Aubrecht hit the first of the home runs for ASU, a solo shot which put the Sun Devils in front 2-0 in the second inning.

In the fourth, ASU scored five unearned runs stemming from a costly error.

Washington freshman shortstop Jennie McNeil backpedaled on a fly ball into shallow center field. The ball ended up dropping out of her glove, and senior outfielder Kayla Ketchum hustled home to score.

“Kayla did a great job of not slowing down,” junior pitcher Dallas Escobedo said. “We definitely say don’t umpire. She’s running; how’s she going to know what’s behind her?”

Sophomore designated player Amber Freeman stepped to the plate next. She made the Huskies pay with an opposite-field two run home run.

Two batters later, sophomore third baseman Haley Steele hit another two-run home run.

“Hitting’s always contagious,” Steele said. “That definitely gave us the edge.”

Washington junior pitcher Bryana Walker incurred seven runs, six of which were unearned.

Escobedo just missed a complete game shutout for ASU. With one out in the seventh, she gave up a solo home run.

“After three or four times around, they’re going to catch onto something,” Escobedo said.

Escobedo finished the game allowing three hits, one run and two walks to go along with seven strikeouts.

ASU actually only recorded five hits in the game but it capitalized off nine walks by Walker and the critical error.

“As hitters we just took advantage of the mistakes she made,” Freeman said. “I wouldn’t say it was our best offensive day, but we did a good job of taking advantage of the mistakes.”

Despite the seven runs, ASU coach Clint Myers said there is always room for improvement.

“Nine walks we’ll definitely take, but we’ve still got to hit the ball better,” Myers said. “How many did we leave on base? Eight. That’s a lot of people.”

Myers hinted at more lineup changes coming for the series finale at 12 p.m. Sunday.

In the second game, Steele moved down from cleanup to fifth in the order.

Sophomore outfielder Elizabeth Caporuscio hit second for the first time since the first week of the season, moving up from fifth.

In addition, junior shortstop Cheyenne Coyle moved from second to cleanup to complete the musical chairs in the lineup.

Reach the reporter at justin.janssen@asu.edu

×