ASU women's golf places 5th at home, men take 9th in Calif.

The No. 13 ASU women's golf team (-1) tied for fifth place in their only home tournament of the spring season Sunday at Karsten Golf Course.

Juniors Laura Blanco and Daniela Ordonez (-3) led the way for the lady Sun Devils, finishing the PING/ASU Invitational tied for 10th with four other participants. Sophomore standout Noemi Jimenez (+2) tied for 27th while junior Justine Lee (+3) fell 15 spots into a seven-way tie for 31st by posting a four-over round Sunday.

ASU placed behind No. 2 Alabama (-19), No. 4 Duke (-10), No. 6 UA (-2), No. 11 Stanford (-2) and tied with No. 1 USC (-1). The Crimson Tide set a new tournament record, a mark previously held by ASU (-13) since 2007.

Freshman Emma Talley (-9) won the individual category and shot two-under Sunday, helping Alabama to victory in both categories.

The Sun Devils head to Valencia, Calif. next to take part in the Pac-12 Championship Apr. 22-24. ASU will go into the contest ranked as the fifth-best team in the conference.

ASU men places ninth

The men's golf team is also preparing for the Pac-12 Championship after their ninth place (+56) performance at the 67th Annual Western Intercollegiate in Santa Cruz, Calif., on Sunday.

ASU posted a final round of 17-over as a team in the Western's final round. Freshman Jon Rahm Rodriguez (E) posted the best round on behalf of the Sun Devils, placing seventh individually. Rodriguez started the day tied for 12th and ended tied at seventh with Cal freshman James Yoon after a one-under third round.

Sophomore Austin Quick (+10) tied for 32nd with four others while junior Spencer Lawson (+14) ended in a six-way tie for 48th. Freshman Alberto Sanchez (+15) moved up 23 spots with a one-over third round to tie for 54th.

No. 1 Cal (+1), took the crown in northern California. No. 5 UCLA (+14) took second while No. 9 Stanford (+31) placed in third.

The Pac-12 Championship will take place from April 29 to April 31 at the Los Angeles Country Club.

Reach the reporter at adrian.martinez.1@asu.edu

×