Devil Dish: Sports tweets should pause in time of crisis

After a tragedy such as the Boston Marathon bombing, Twitter proves its worth with quick news coverage and constant updates.

While following my timeline during the aftermath of the explosions, I came across tweets from multiple sports reporters, including Jayson Stark and Jason La Canfora, going about their daily business, tweeting as if there hadn’t been a situation at all.

Now, I’m not taking away from what great jobs both of them do for their respective sports publications, but shouldn’t there be a form of “Twitter etiquette” for when a disastrous event like this occurs?

It almost seems ignorant, tweeting out your opinion about “Who’s a deep sleeper in the draft…” in the midst of such a tragedy.

There’s a lack of respect for the victims and the situation as a whole.

It would seem reasonable to hold off on promoting your articles or thoughts on a completely different topic until the news has played its course and a majority of the facts are laid out.

Sports news and coverage takes precedence over many things in my life, but sometimes there are more important concerns. A tragedy like that is bigger than sports; your opinions can wait.

Reach the columnist at ross.dunham@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Dunhaaam

×