Jahii Carson announces return to ASU for sophomore season

Redshirt freshman guard Jahii Carson penetrates the lane against Washington State on Feb. 20. Carson has decided to stay at Tempe next year. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

Redshirt freshman guard Jahii Carson penetrates the lane against Washington State on Feb. 20. Carson has decided to stay at Tempe next year. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum) Redshirt freshman guard Jahii Carson penetrates the lane against Washington State on Feb. 20. Carson has decided to stay at Tempe next year. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

The scene spoiled the announcement.

A live DJ. A video montage of his highlights. The 942 Crew and season-ticket holders on hand.

It seemed inevitable redshirt freshman point guard Jahii Carson wasn’t going anywhere before he even stepped in the room.

With the all the stops taken to create an extraordinary vibe, Carson announced he will stay in Tempe next year following one of the best freshman seasons in school history.

“This whole process has been really exciting and tough at the same time,” Carson said. “I’ve just been constantly with the coaching staff and my family every day, just coming to what’s the best conclusion and outcome for me.”

Carson tested the NBA waters by submitting his paperwork to the NBA through ASU. He said he didn’t know what he would decide after he submitted the papers to the NBA and took some time to himself to process both choices.

“I was just trying to relax my mind,” Carson said. “When you’re a kid coming from nothing really, you hear the opportunity of making $250,000 a month, your eyes get big,” Carson said. “But you also realize you came out here your freshman year, didn’t really know much about the season and came out and had the opportunity to do something big. I didn’t want to miss another opportunity to show the college world the talent that I have.”

Carson wouldn’t disclose what specific comments he received back, but he said he received positive feedback from everyone about his NBA draft stock.

“It was one of those heart-to-heart things I had to do with myself,” Carson said on the ultimate decision.

Coach Herb Sendek found out about Carson’s decision on Monday during their final meeting. Sendek thought it was a good choice on his part and respected the way Carson went about the process.

“For the sake of our team, you want a good player,” Sendek said. “But when you’re in my position, and I’ve been here fortunately a few times, it’s a good thing to have a player who has that decision to make. You really just want to guide him to do the right thing. You have to set aside any of your personal hopes and desires and really take the highest road as possible which is help that young man make the best decision for his future.”

It appears to be a win-win for both sides. Carson is listed as a top-100 prospect on DraftExpress.com, but he wasn’t projected to be drafted in the site’s 2013 NBA Mock Draft.

Carson now has a shot at becoming a lottery pick next season if he can muster an encore performance from his historic freshman season. The 5-foot-10 point guard out of Mesa High posted 18.5 points a game last season. Only Ike Diogu averaged more points per contest, 19, than Carson among Sun Devil freshmen. It also ranks seventh in Pac-10/12 freshman history.

Carson also averaged five assists a game, which was most in school history by a freshman. He’s sixth in conference freshmen history behind the likes of Oregon State’s Gary Payton, California’s Jason Kidd and UA’s Mike Bibby.

“With the feedback I got, I think I can definitely be that (a lottery pick),” Carson said. “But I just want to be out here and take my team to another level. I think that’s what the best players do: They elevate their team to the highest level.”

Carson’s presence in the lineup will keep the Sun Devils competitive once again in the Pac-12 despite the loss of senior wing Carrick Felix. They’ll look to make the NCAA Tournament for the first time since the 2008-09 season, which happened to be James Harden’s sophomore season. Harden opted for the NBA after that season and was selected third overall in the 2009 NBA Draft by the Oklahoma City Thunder.

“Ultimately it was his decision, and it (was) very similar to James and his first year,” Sendek said. “James after his first year basically knew he could be a draft pick, but he had some things he had to address. He did it, and it’s worked out great for him.”

Reach the reporter at mtesfats@asu.edu

×