Parlich helps ASU softball avoid series sweep at Utah

ASU senior second baseman Sam Parlich was called for the final out in the first and second games of the series against Utah. She didn’t want to do the same in the finale.

Parlich saved the ASU softball team from a disastrous series sweep at Utah's hands with a go-ahead three-run home run in the seventh inning.

ASU (39-7, 10-5 Pac-12) avoided a complete catastrophe with a 6-4 win over Utah (21-24-1, 6-12 Pac-12) in the series finale to salvage one game in the series.

ASU lost its first series of the season but avoided being swept for the first time since 2010.

Parlich’s shot came with one out and runners on the corners.

After four scoreless innings in the series finale, both teams started to figure things out offensively.

ASU originally took the lead 1-0 in the fifth with first baseman Bethany Kemp's RBI single.

With two outs and a run already on the board for Utah in the bottom of the inning, junior shortstop Cheyenne Coyle made a fielding error, giving Utah the lead. Utah sophomore outfielder Kate Dickman extended Utah’s lead with an RBI double.

The Sun Devils were six outs from a shocking series sweep before they eventually wore down Utah sophomore pitcher Mariah Ramirez.

Junior outfielder Alix Johnson, who was 0-for-8 after returning from a suspension, homered to right, tying the game at three.

In another twist, Utah freshman third baseman Kristen Stewart homered to lead off the sixth inning, giving the Utes a one-run lead.

In the seventh, ASU had three outs to play with and the first two batters reached. After an out was recorded, Parlich hit the game-winning home run.

Junior pitcher Dallas Escobedo finished off the Utes 1-2-3 in the bottom of the frame, giving ASU the 6-4 victory.

ASU drops middle game

The second game of the series was moved to a doubleheader on Sunday due to rain, and ASU could not overcome junior pitcher Mackenzie Popescue’s worst outing of the season in a 6-5 loss.

Popescue allowed seven hits and six runs, all earned, in 1.2 innings pitched.

Escobedo came in and kept ASU in the game with a dominating performance. She allowed two base runners and struck out eight Utes in 4.1 innings of relief.

The offense on the other hand couldn’t quite make up the early four-run deficit.

Freshman first baseman Jennifer Soria cut the deficit in half with a two-run, pinch-hit single in the second. However, Utah responded with two more in the bottom of the inning and forced Popescue out of the game.

In the third, fourth and fifth innings, ASU bit into the mess it created with runs in each inning. It trailed 6-5 after the fifth inning and had one more chance in the seventh.

Parlich stepped up to bat with the tying and go-ahead runners in scoring position. She flew out to left field, which ended the game.

Reach the reporter at Justin.Janssen@asu.edu or follow on Twitter @JJanssen11

×