Tempe Police release homicide victim’s identity

Marketing sophomore Rebecca Kasper was identified by Tempe Police as the woman and ASU student found dead in 22-year-old Luis Soltero’s apartment bathtub on the 900 block of East Lemon Street on Tuesday morning.

Soltero was arrested Tuesday night on suspicion of the 19-year-old’s murder, according to police.

Dan Kasper, Rebecca’s father, spoke to media in a press conference Wednesday at the Tempe Police Station on Fifth Street.

He said he wanted to speak out about the incident, because he wanted to put a name to his daughter’s face.

“She was wise beyond her years, very self-confident, very focused in her life,” Dan said.

Rebecca and the family were Minnesota natives, Dan said. The family moved to Fountain Hills in 2002 but returned to Minnesota in 2005.

He said Rebecca always loved Arizona; she had her heart set on attending ASU, and it was the only school she applied for.

“(Rebecca) is truly an Arizona person. This is where she wanted to go to school and build her career,” Dan said. “It’s not just a loss for (the family) but a loss for Arizona.”

Dan said Soltero and Rebecca began dating last fall, and Dan met Soltero in December when Rebecca brought him to Minnesota for Christmas.

“He was quiet, laid-back and easy going,” Dan said. “He seemed like a good kid. Nothing happened to indicate that this would happen.”

Rebecca went with Soltero to El Paso, Texas, for Easter in April, Dan said. The couple broke up a few weeks after returning home.

“She said she was fine … felt it was mutual,” Dan said. “She was fine with it. Being as strong as she is, we had to take her word.”

Sgt. Michael Pooley said at the press conference that Soltero reported the death to Tempe detectives Tuesday and gave officers his and Rebecca’s Identifications.

Soltero said he wanted to speak to an attorney and that he was suffering from carbon monoxide poising because of a failed suicide attempt, at which point he was transported to a local hospital for treatment, Pooley said.

Soltero was not an ASU student, and the Tempe Fire Department did not detect carbon monoxide in his apartment.

“Listening to her father, she was a wonderful young lady,” Pooley said. “It’s a horrible tragedy. … It shouldn’t have happened.”

 

Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ShawnFVRaymundo


Get the best of State Press delivered straight to your inbox.