Student governments announce campus presidents

Downtown:

The Undergraduate Student Government Downtown announced Frank Smith III as the Downtown student body president for the 2013-14 school year.

Smith is a general studies freshman and is the senator for the University College. His ticket won with 54.3 percent of the votes.

“I can lead. I can represent students at the Capitol and with our faculty," Smith said. "I've been networking with the people who determine how the university operates. We're focusing on parking, student fees, transparency and school spirit.”

Smith's ticket included Vice President of Services Marcus Dudas and Vice President of Policy Melber Macainan

Graduate and Professional Student Association:

Megan Fisk was announced as the Graduate and Professional Student Association president Friday. She is the Vice President of Professional Development for GPSA and a graduate student in the Hugh Downs School of Human Communication.

“I love ASU and treasure my time as a student and student leader,” Fisk said. “GPSA needs a leader who will be one step ahead, able to anticipate the changes that will come to post-graduate education. I am this leader.”

Fisk ran alongside Lisa Lacy as her vice president of Internal Affairs, German Cadeñas as vice president of external affairs and Jason Striker as vice president of professional development.

Polytechnic:

Franz Ferguson won the Polytechnic Undergraduate Student Government presidential race unopposed. Ferguson is an operations management and technology junior. He has been a member of USGP for two years and works at the Career Preparation Center.

“I will improve the relationship between our students and their individual experiences with ASU, so that when they leave this university, they can honestly say what it meant to be a Sun Devil rather than just attending school for a degree,” Ferguson said. “I want the students of this University to be aware of and grasp all the opportunities this establishment has to offer.”

The Ferguson ticket included Vice President of Services Jhonathan Rendon and Vice President of Policy Jason Scribner.

Tempe:

The Tempe Undergraduate Student Government announced Jordan Davis as president Friday afternoon.

Davis, is a political science sophomore, and as a freshman, he interned for the Tempe USG Policy Department. He became the city of Tempe Liaison his sophomore year.

“I want every student to realize their full potential at ASU, because I know how much this great university can provide to each student if they put their mind to it,” Davis said.

His ticket won with 50.4 percent of the votes. Davis won with Adam Silverman as vice president of services and Casey Clowes as vice president of policy.

Davis was endorsed by outgoing Tempe USG President Mark Naufel, who said he was pleased with the election process and result.

“It was a good turnout, and it was pretty close election,” Naufel said. “I saw a lot students really involved. I’m happy for the Davis ticket. I’m proud and excited for them.”

West:

Howard Waldie IV won the Undergraduate Student Government West presidential elections. Waldie is a political science and religion and applied ethics studies sophomore.

He has been a member of USG for two years working on multiple committees and boards either as a member, vice-chair, or chair.

Kyle Lambros is Waldie's vice president of services and Aleksandra Grozic is vice president of policy.

“I believe USG’s role should change to take a more interactive role in participating and helping promote student success, rather than simply acting as a financial institution that gives organizations money,” Waldie said. “The potential that the West Campus has, which comes from its students, inspired and continues to inspire me to want to lead this campus.”

You can reach the reporter at jwthrall@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter at jthrall1

×