With the next generation of consoles peering from behind the corner, it’s hard to remember that the current generation of consoles will still have a great line-up in the future. The games that I want to include on this list — "Dark Souls II," "Watch Dogs," and "South Park: The Stick of Truth" — have unconfirmed release dates and are subject to change.

5. "Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag" (Oct. 29) With the fourth iteration, or sixth if you include the mid-trilogy, the annual franchise players will play as Edward Kenway, father to Haytham Kenway who in turn was the father of the protagonist of "Assassin’s Creed III." Edward is a pirate in the Caribbean Sea during the 18th century. So make ready the "Pirates of the Caribbean" soundtracks as you gallivant from one island to the other. The aim of "Assassin’s Creed IV" is to create one cohesive world, so Edward can leap off of his ship and swim to shore and return without a mere mention of a loading screen. The game will also include dual-wielding flintlock pistols and more naval battles. Ubisoft always finds new ways to make the "Assassin’s Creed" franchise exciting to play, and this is certainly the case with "Black Flag."

4. "Beyond: Two Souls" (Oct. 8) Quantic Dream’s previous game, "Heavy Rain," escaped my interested grasp as I did not own a PlayStation 3 at the time. That, and I had the big mystery spoiled for me. Announced at the Sony Press Conference at E3 2012, "Beyond: Two Souls" stars Ellen Page as Jodie Holmes, a seemingly disturbed young girl who is hounded by this entity known as Aiden. Not much is known about Aiden other than that he has been connected to Page’s character since she was young. From the presentation video, the game has a Twin Peaks/X-Files hybrid twinge that makes for an interesting game setting. Willem Dafoe also joins the cast as Nathan Dawkins, a government scientist, who seeks to help Jodie throughout her journey as she tries to understand her extraordinary abilities. As a fan of these ordinary worlds with supernatural elements narratives, I can’t see myself missing this title.

3.  "Batman: Arkham Origins" (Oct. 25)  I think everyone is sick and tired of hearing me scream to the heavens about how much I love the Batman narratives. But I’m so far gone at this point that there really is no reason to stop. "Batman: Arkham Origins" is a game that I’m watchful about. On one hand, the studio (Rocksteady Studios) who put out "Batman: Arkham Asylum" and "Batman: Arkham City" are not returning for "Origins" which always has me a bit nervous. But on the other hand, "Origins" will institute a more careless younger Batman while introducing him to his rogue’s gallery of super villains. It will also be the first Batman game to take place in the whole of Gotham City and takes place on Christmas Eve, which is when some of the best Batman stories take place. Rocksteady famously never included multiplayer in "Arkham City," because it believed that it didn’t need it. Recently two independent sources, according to Kotaku, say that "Arkham Origins" will have multiplayer, pn which I’ll need to see to pass judgement.

2. "Grand Theft Auto V" (Sept. 17) I mean, really, was there any question that a Rockstar Game would end up on the most anticipated list? I’ve been a fan of Rockstar Games since "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," because it has delivered on cinematic experiences much more successfully than other game franchises, such as the "Uncharted Series." The game returns to Los Santos, the fictional setting that pays homage to Los Angeles. Activities such as jet skiing, base-jumping, tennis, golf and scuba diving are included in GTA V and the dating system from GTA IV (thank the video game gods) have been removed. The video game centers around not one, not two but three protagonists and you are able to switch to them during missions at will. Rockstar Games is always at the forefront of open-world sandbox games and this is certainly the case with "Grand Theft Auto V."

1."The Last of Us" (June 14) "Uncharted 3" had one of the worst narratives in which I’ve had the misfortune of participating, third only to "Halo 4" and "Aliens: Colonial Marines." Naughty Dog is infamous for its game design in that it thinks of the set pieces first and includes the narrative as an afterthought. From what I’ve seen from "The Last of Us," this is not the case. The game takes place in a post-apocalyptic Pittsburgh as players take on the role of Joel, who has a savvy young companion named Ellie. While there are bandits the player combats in the game, there is a fungus that infects the brains of humans and creates infected monsters that will often kill the player in one hit if the player is careless. The gameplay in "The Last of Us" feels punchy and tangible, as Joel will wrestle with bandits for the control of their weapons and slam enemies into nearby furniture. Ellie will also be made useful as she distracts enemies if you are between a rock and a hard place. There are so many little details strewn about in the preview videos and screenshots for "The Last of Us" that it’d make going over each and every one impossible. But with the promise of an engaging post-apocalyptic game that does/doesn’t have zombies, "The Last of Us" earns my top spot for most anticipated game of 2013.

Don’t let me have all the fun. Sound off in the comments for your most anticipated games of 2013.

Reach the reporter at shfawcet@asu.edu or on Twitter @MaroonandGamer.

×