WCWS Power Rankings: Oklahoma favorited to take national title

The Women’s College World Series begins Thursday in Oklahoma City where eight teams will duke it out to determine the national champion. Can anyone defeat Oklahoma? What are ASU’s chances of winning a third national title? Here's how the field stacks up in the Women's College World Series power rankings:

1. Oklahoma (52-4). Seed: 1

All season long, Oklahoma has looked like the national championship favorite. Led by sophomore first baseman Lauren Chamberlain and senior pitcher Keilani Ricketts, the Sooners possess star power far exceeding their competition. Oklahoma leads the NCAA in runs (7.93) and ERA (1.16). The Sooners defeated Texas A&M; in two run-rule games to get to Oklahoma City, the only run-rule games of the Super Regional. Last year, they lost in the national championship series and look hungrier than ever to get their shot.

2. Florida (57-7). Seed: 2.

Florida earned its fifth Women’s College World Series appearance in six seasons after beating unseeded UAB in two one-run games. The two close games were a little concerning, but outside of Oklahoma, nobody steamrolled through the Super Regional round. The Gators are young and were predicted to finish seventh in the SEC this season by the conference’s coaches. After winning the SEC regular season title and the SEC tournament, the Gators far exceeded those expectations.

3. ASU (50-10). Seed: 5

Fortunately for ASU, the Sun Devils were able to host in the postseason, where they have a 40-3 record. Now, they’re going to have to win away from the friendly confines in Tempe. The Sun Devils are undefeated in the postseason, winning four of their five postseason games against SEC programs Georgia and Kentucky. At times, junior pitcher Dallas Escobedo has looked unhittable. Offensively, half of the lineup is hitting well, while the other half is struggling. The regular 5-8 hitters in the lineup are 6-for-48 in the postseason, while the 9-4 starters are hitting .388 with five homers.

4. Texas (49-8). Seed: 4.

As long as senior pitcher Blaire Luna takes the circle for Texas, the Longhorns have a chance. Luna pitched a no-hitter over Florida State to thrust Texas into the Women’s College World Series. In 29 postseason innings, she has allowed four earned runs to go along with 32 strikeouts. Luna, a strikeout machine, ranks second in total strikeouts (384) and leads the country in strikeouts per seven innings (11.7). Offensively, Texas is strong too but primarily relies on speed. Four players have at least 20 stolen bases for Texas.

5. Tennessee (49-10). Seed: 7.

En route to advancing to the Women’s College World Series, Tennessee eliminated the defending national champions, Alabama, in two games. Sisters Ellen and Ivy Renfroe have been solid in the circle all season. At the plate, third baseman Raven Chavanne was named a top-three finalist for USA Softball Player of the Year, while second baseman Lauren Gibson was named SEC Player of the Year.

6. Michigan (50-11). Seed: 8

The Wolverines eked out their 10th trip to the Women’s College World Series in dramatic fashion. It took Michigan three games to eliminate Louisiana Lafayette, needing late heroics in both of their wins. Offensively, Michigan entered the weekend scoring 7.16 runs per game but were outscored in the Super Regional and only plated six runs in the three game set.

7. Nebraska (45-14). Seed: 14.

By defeating No. 3 seed and Pac-12 champion Oregon, Nebraska pulled the first shocking upset in the NCAA tournament. After losing an 11-inning heartbreaker in the middle game of the series, Nebraska bounced back to defeat Oregon 4-2 later that day. Nebraska rattled Pac-12 Pitcher of the Year Jessica Moore, scoring 11 runs in the series off her. Earlier in the season, The Huskers handed top-seeded Oklahoma one of their four losses.

8. Washington (43-15). Seed: 11.

Washington was the first team to book its trip to Oklahoma City, when it put a mild surprise in No. 6 seed Missouri. The Huskies, who finished third in the Pac-12, dominated the Tigers when on the mound by allowing one run and six hits in the two games.

Day 1 Schedule:

Nebraska vs. Washington, 9 a.m. PT, ESPN2

Tennessee vs. Florida, 11:30 a.m. PT, ESPN

ASU vs. Texas, 4 p.m. PT, ESPN

Michigan vs. Oklahoma, 6:30 p.m. PT, ESPN

Reach the reporter at Justin.Janssen@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @JJanssen11

×