Beyond the Border: Tishnihood in the Traveling Shorts

When Tishni wore her shorts in Sri Lanka, she experienced great discrimination.

Can you imagine going to Arizona State University in 106 degree weather and not wearing shorts? I mean really, think about not

When Tishni wore her shorts in Sri Lanka, she experienced great discrimination. When Tishni wore her shorts in Sri Lanka, she experienced great discrimination.

wearing shorts at this campus. How much harder would your life be. Got the visual? Good. Now put yourself in my shoes, but think about yourself in a different country on the other side of the world, with the same temperature but about 70% humidity but it’s physically not safe for a girl to wear her shorts. This is where my traveling shorts story comes in. Here’s the story about a little American girl who went back to her country of origin and got harassed for wearing shorts.

To be honest, I live in pants. I mean I don’t do the whole short skirts or dresses thing. But shorts... shorts are a girl’s best friend in my opinion.

I never knew that wearing shorts would be such a culture shock. It’s quite simple on how this started, I put on a pair of shorts and I walked out and I literally had cars beep at me, I had buses full of college boys holler at me, and everywhere I went I got winked, whistled, and stared at. I mean at first, it was very flattering but then it got tiring, I just wanted to be able to wear my shorts and enjoy my vacation in peace.

But the worst part of it all? I got kicked out a temple.

That’s right, you read correctly. I got kicked out of a temple - a place of worship -because I wasn’t “respectful” enough. But the thing is, I always wear shorts to temples in America. I was the only one they singled out, of the hundreds people there, that had to leave because of my shorts. I have never been so disappointed in a country for their sexism towards women in shorts till the moment I was kicked out a place of worship.

I wasn’t wearing any thing that out of the ordinary for me but to those that were raised in a culture where most of the girls are taught to cover the majority of their body, I was out of place. So, with that in mind, I packed up my shorts and put them away in respect for the culture and in annoyance for the crude reaction I was getting. For the rest of my time there I was stuck in a hot country trying not to roll over and die of the heat that was overtaking my body.

But it's okay, I survived (barely) and I am reunited with my traveling shorts. And, unless you want your fellow Sun Devil to suffer a heat stroke, they aren't planning to go any time soon.

Comments or Questions? Email Me at tishniw@yahoo.com or tweet me @tishnii

×