Devil Dish: Apology not enough for Braun

When I would get in trouble as a kid, my mom would always make me apologize for my actions. Of course, being the snarky kid I was, I would shrug it off and nonchalantly say, “I’m sorry.”

What Ryan Braun said in his apology letter that the Milwaukee Brewers released on Thursday is no different than what I would tell my mom as a kid.

Braun is sorry he got caught; he's not sorry for his actions, and he's not sorry for getting Dino Laurenzi Jr. fired or hurting the other numerous people on his false innocence tour.

My mom would never accept my apology, because she could tell I didn’t mean it. And what my mom did is exactly what baseball fans should do for Braun. He’s proven he can be very convincing, most recently and notably at the press conference he held in Spring Training vehemently denying his drug usage.

Sometimes an apology is enough. When you cheat the game, get people fired and take honors away from clean players, it’s not.

Braun has to make up for his actions and prove his apology is sincere before he earns my forgiveness, and you should wait for the same.

Reach the columnist at ewebeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @EWeebs

×