ASU soccer shutout by Texas Tech in Tucson tourney

Eventually, someone had to score.

After nearly 100 scoreless minutes, Texas Tech forward Brianna Rohmer sent the ASU soccer team back to the drawing board.

The teams were nearing a second overtime when Rohmer scored with 32 seconds left in the first overtime. Defender Jaelene Hinckle fed Rohmer from outside the box and Rohmer hit the back of the net to end the game.

ASU coach Kevin Boyd said ASU (4-2) played uncharacteristically against No. 24 Texas Tech (6-1). He said the Sun Devils turned the ball over and that Rohmer "absolutely roped in a left-footed fending ball” to win the game.

“It was a hell of a goal from their standpoint,” Boyd said. “Bad on our part because it was one of many, many turnovers we committed on the night ... We played a pretty good team and we didn’t play to our quality level at all so we never got to express ourselves and show what we can do. That’s our frustration.”

Texas Tech nudged ASU 14-12 on shots, the difference being the 3-1 Texas Tech edge in overtime. Scoring opportunities were at a premium as only three of the Red Raiders' shots were on goal. ASU meanwhile, took four shots on goal.

Texas Tech had a 10-0 edge on corners after halftime, and took four corners in the overtime period.

“All their chances were coming out of set pieces or long services," Boyd said. "It’s not like (redshirt sophomore goalie) Chandler (Morris) was having to fly around blocking shots.”

ASU was shutout for the first time this season, meaning sophomore forward Cali Farquharson’s streak of eight consecutive games with a goal ended. The shutout loss comes on the heels of an eight-goal weekend for ASU at the Sun Devil Classic.

ASU’s best chance of scoring came early in the first half, when senior forward Devin Marshall went around a defender to the baseline. She made her way near the goalie box, but had her shot blocked by a defender.

“One of the defender’s recovered onto the goal line and it just happened to hit their defender right there on the goal line,” Boyd said. "I thought it was going to be a goal to be quite honest.”

ASU’s next game is on Sunday against Southern Utah at 11 a.m. in Tucson.

Reach the reporter at justin.Janssen@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @jjanssen11

×