Devil Dish: At what point should NFL teams hit the panic button?

We’re getting to the point in the NFL season where teams are finding their identities and lofty expectations have to be reset.

There’s no greater league in sports at producing parity, and it’s resulted in some shocking early-season records for teams expected to contend for playoff spots in 2013.

The Redskins, Giants, Steelers, Falcons, 49ers and Packers are a combined 3-15 this season.

The Giants won the Super Bowl in 2007 and 2011, while the Steelers won it all in 2005 and 2008. The Redskins won the NFC East last year.

The Falcons and 49ers played in the NFC title game last year. Green Bay won the Super Bowl in the 2010 season.

According to USA Today, only three teams since 1990 have made the playoffs after starting 0-3.

The NFL season’s only three weeks in, but is it time for any of those established teams to panic?

Atlanta lost a bunch of players to injuries; 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is experiencing growing pains. Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III may have come back too soon from an ACL tear. And what has gotten into the Steelers and Giants?

Maybe these are all overreactions. But in such a short season, sometimes the panic button needs to be hit prematurely.

Reach the reporter at Justin.Janssen@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @jjanssen11

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook.

×