Devil Dish: The unfortunate tale of Matt Flynn

On March 19, 2012, Seattle Seahawks fans rejoiced in that their team finally had its quarterback. After a mediocre season with Tarvaris Jackson as their "game manager," the Seahawks had signed Green Bay Packers' backup, Matt Flynn, to a $26 million deal with $10 million guaranteed.

Fast forward a little over a month to the 2012 NFL Draft. With Wisconsin Badgers undersized quarterback Russell Wilson still on the board in the third round, the Seahawks couldn't resist and picked the soon-to-be stud.

This creates a quarterback battle in training camp. With it still unresolved heading into the season, fans are getting restless and calling for their $26 million man to be named the starter. Well, we know how the tale goes.

Flynn gets traded to the Raiders for a fifth-round pick in the 2014 draft and a conditional pick in the 2015 draft. Raiders fans are thinking the same thoughts that Seahawks fans did a year prior, though with a little apprehension.

Certainly not another young, dual-threat quarterback was going to steal the starting role from Flynn. Well, with Week 1 in the books, and Terrelle Pryor named the starter for next week, Matt Flynn is experiencing a case of déjà vu.

Reach the columnist at ewebeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @EWebs

×