Devil Dish: What went wrong with Lamar Odom?

It's amazing how an athlete's entire life can hit rock bottom so quickly.

It was only two years ago that Lamar Odom was playing the best basketball of his career.

Odom had just won the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year award, and a year prior to that, he helped the Los Angeles Lakers capture their second title in a row.

He was even fine during the first couple years of marriage with socialite Khloe Kardashian.

Then the end of the 2011 NBA lockout happened.

The Lakers tried trading Odom to the New Orleans Hornets in a deal that included Chris Paul, but the trade ultimately collapsed.

Odom, upset by the trade attempt, subsequently asked to be traded and ended up on the Dallas Mavericks. He quit playing for the Mavericks toward the end of that season.

Odom had a one-year stint with the Clippers and was ready to join a new team this summer as a free agent.

But somewhere down the line, his demons intervened, with rumors of turmoil in his marriage, concerns about drug use and a DUI arrest last week.

This isn't the same person who was considered the Lakers' most likable teammate in the locker room for years.

As a fan of Odom, I hope the Lakers bring him back, even amid his drug issues, because at this point, this is what Odom needs to turn around his life.

Reach the columnist at jnacion@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Josh_Nacion

×