Devil Dish: Hot start all-too familiar for San Jose Sharks fans

The San Jose Sharks are rolling right now.

Behind the consistency of netminder Antti Niemi, the offensive prowess of Patrick Marleau, and the youth of Tomas Hertl, the Sharks have jumped out to an 8-0-1 start in the 2013-14 regular season. Their only loss was in a shootout against the Dallas Stars.

But experienced Sharks fans know this feeling all-too well.

If you remember the beginning of last year’s lockout-shortened season, the Sharks started 7-0-0, then proceeded to drop nine of their next 10.

As long as they make the playoffs, though, it doesn’t really matter, right? For most teams, sure.

But there’s one more thing Sharks fans can count on: postseason failures.

The Sharks have been known as the league’s perennial postseason dud for years now.

The past five years for the Sharks include two conference finals embarrassments and two quarterfinals embarrassments. Only last year did the Sharks compete in their final round of the playoffs, taking the Los Angeles Kings seven games.

NHL fans know only three things in life are certain: death, taxes and the Sharks choking in the playoffs.

Unfortunately for coach Todd McLellan, the only way to shake that reputation would be with a Stanley Cup victory.

Reach the reporter at bmargiot@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @BenMargiott

×