Newlin's 3 a.m. Diary: Go Downtown

Haim at Crescent Ballroom.
Haim at Crescent Ballroom.

We have come to the end of what probably felt like the shortest school week of the semester. Thanks to fall break I only had two days of classes. It is hard for me to reflect on what I did this week because most of it happened over break.

I attended my first concert at Crescent Ballroom on Monday night. There I saw the lovely ladies from Haim, an all girl rock band. The Haim girls are all sisters who have been practicing music their entire lives. Now, I’m not a huge concert person, I think the last time I went to one was a year ago when I saw Rodriguez, but I had a lot of fun.

[caption caption="Haim at Crescent Ballroom." align="aligncenter" height="300" id="attachment_124571" width="300"]1393423_10202158535664796_1825927951_n.jpg[/caption]

Downtown Phoenix is up and coming, let me tell you. I’ve been spending a lot more time down there than usual because of a story I am working on for my magazine writing class. I am impressed by how much it has changed since I lived there freshman year. Either there is a lot more to do there or I am getting older and my tastes and interests are changing.

If you haven’t been downtown I suggest checking out Roosevelt Row. It is the Arts District of downtown Phoenix and it has a lot of character. Songbird Coffee is friendly and a great place to study and on certain Fridays there is food trucks and art festivals. Sometimes we get stuck in the Tempe bubble, but Phoenix has a lot to offer as well.

Reach the writer at newlin.tillotson@asu.edu or on Twitter @Newlin777

×